new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboygator

im thinking about buying a new scanner soon and wanted to know what kind every one thinks i should get ? i know i want a portable handheld other then that im wide open well let me know what you think right now im useing a pro-95

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
new scanner

if you want to hear broomfield you'll need a digital scanner. radio shack has the 2096 desktop and the pro 96 handheld, but with rebanding and 700 mhz coming on line uniden will work but radio shack has no 700mhz scanners as of yet.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
n0doz said:
BC396 is the one!
Small, light, works great.
Does 700.
Uses only 3 NiMH AA's.
Perfect!

But no logging software available for the Uniden line and that's a big piece of constanly learning and updating the DTRS system. Also I'll take the ease of using win96 programming software anyday over what's available for the Uniden's.

Have you ever compared the audio of the 396 and the 96 side by side, especially in a mobile application?

But like anything your mileage may vary.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
396's are quite deaf. Especially for trying to monitor sites more than 10 miles away on 800. :lol:

Phil.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
scanlist said:
396's are quite deaf. Especially for trying to monitor sites more than 10 miles away on 800. :lol:

Phil.

Interesting. I thought Horsetooth was more than 10 miles from Wheatridge and yet, I can still hear that tower with an 800 MHz rubber duckie. Maybe Mapquest and Google Earth, not to mention any other map I've looked at are just way off?

The 396 is fine. I had both the 96 and the 396 for a short time. Neither one was substantially better than the other as far as sensitivity goes on 800 MHz. While audio might be better on the 96, I have a powered speaker for mobile use which negates that and the 396 out shines the 96 in just about every other area. If you want flexability, portability, Close Call, dynamic memory, WFM modulation for TV and FM broadcast, etc then go with the 396. I'm very happy with it.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
captaincraig44 said:
Interesting. I thought Horsetooth was more than 10 miles from Wheatridge and yet, I can still hear that tower with an 800 MHz rubber duckie. Maybe Mapquest and Google Earth, not to mention any other map I've looked at are just way off?

My bad I meant 15 miles. :lol:

I have played with two of these radios and for me being bit of a distance from sites in the metro area it's predcessor the 296 beats it in the RF department.

However for close/local coverage here it does allright.

Nice having muted crypto tranmissions with all the crypto use up here.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.