New Scanning Notes Web App: Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

NebraskaCoder

Hello All,

I am in the process of creating a new web application that solves the problem of saving your collections (frequencies, systems, etc...) and possibly a feature to program scanners by creating online profiles for the scanner or SDR application you are going to program and it will take your online collection and program it from there (I'll probably start with something like OP25 and move to other applications or actual scanners as a TODO future feature).

What I already plan on implementing or will implement at a future date:
  • A place to input your frequencies, systems, departments, etc...
  • Notes to go along with any of the above (notes at the frequencies level, system level, etc...)
  • Possible future feature: allow you to upload audio as part of your notes, for example, if you hear something interesting you can upload audio of it and add notes/information about what's in the audio file.
  • Maintain multiple "buckets". I am creating the word bucket as you would use "profile" in Uniden. It will separate out a set of conventional system or trunk systems into a group from other "buckets"
  • Import known data from RadioReference.com if you are a current RR subscriber into a bucket. Possibly a feature that keeps importing data and keeps it up to date unless you make modifications (then it will keep your modifications over the imported data).
  • Profiles will be the configuration for scanners or applications. For example, you have a profile that takes a set of frequencies or trunk systems from one or multiple buckets and puts them in the correct knob position on a scanner / creates a talkgroup list for OP25 / etc...
Because I love RadioReference.com and I don't plan to recreate what they have, your data will be private and unofficial, unlike RadioReference where data is public and verified / official. Because this is your own space, it doesn't matter if the information is correct or not, this is meant to replace a notepad you document your information on or, in my case, a OneNote Notebook. I may create a feature that allows you to have a group of people share certain buckets or a file format for sharing your information with others, but RadioReference does what it does best already.

What is this post about? I'm doing my research before building too many features on what you all find useful. Are there any ideas that I should consider? Do you support this service? Do you have an opinion on what I plan to do?

I am considering a reduced free model (limited, ad-based) and a yearly subscription (ad-free, price is not set at this time).

Let me know what all of you think.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Many of us use programming software already, and that forms the basis of our frequency collections. Not sure how an additional repository would help...?

Reconrider

Honestly it's a really cool idea. But I'd rather use notepad++ for my "rough draft".

I use proscan to log anything my sds100 clicks up, and my trx1 has it's own control program. They both record to the scanners sd card which I can get data from with it's respective program

NebraskaCoder

Many of us use programming software already, and that forms the basis of our frequency collections. Not sure how an additional repository would help...?
So, three personal problems I set out to do myself. I was looking for a place to put my notes. I also had a problem with keeping multiple computers in sync with certain programming software. Not saying it couldn't be done but I wanted a way to keep them in sync easier. My original idea was to look for a way to import data into current software programming locations instead of creating a new programming software tool. Also, I wanted to keep data from one scanner in sync with a different scanner / SDR program. My SDS100 with my Unication, with my SDR setup, for example.

NebraskaCoder

Honestly it's a really cool idea. But I'd rather use notepad++ for my "rough draft".

I use proscan to log anything my sds100 clicks up, and my trx1 has it's own control program. They both record to the scanners sd card which I can get data from with it's respective program
Good to know. Is this because it is somewhere that's fast and easy or what is your reasoning? I could see a feature that I make where a program sits on your local desktop that allows you to jot down unstructured notes that then syncs to a web service and allows you to grab from those notes. I'd be interested to hear what all goes into your rough draft.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
good luck but i think you're trying to re-invent the wheel. i use RR as my primary data source but then store thew downloaded data on my pc's hard drive and not in the cloud. i would not use the cloud as my primary method of storage...for anything and I don't need a proprietary piece of software to do that.

NebraskaCoder

good luck but i think you're trying to re-invent the wheel. i use RR as my primary data source but then store thew downloaded data on my pc's hard drive and not in the cloud. i would not use the cloud as my primary method of storage...for anything and I don't need a proprietary piece of software to do that.

Good to know. Thank you.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
So, three personal problems I set out to do myself. I was looking for a place to put my notes. I also had a problem with keeping multiple computers in sync with certain programming software. Not saying it couldn't be done but I wanted a way to keep them in sync easier. My original idea was to look for a way to import data into current software programming locations instead of creating a new programming software tool. Also, I wanted to keep data from one scanner in sync with a different scanner / SDR program. My SDS100 with my Unication, with my SDR setup, for example.
if you're looking for an ez way to keep your PCs in sync then try AlwaySync. nothing to the cloud. been using it for years.

Reconrider

Good to know. Is this because it is somewhere that's fast and easy or what is your reasoning? I could see a feature that I make where a program sits on your local desktop that allows you to jot down unstructured notes that then syncs to a web service and allows you to grab from those notes. I'd be interested to hear what all goes into your rough draft.
It's more-or-less quickness. Notepad++ opens in 2 seconds and it's very lightweight and has tabs. I currently have 12 tags open with info for other systems(trunk/conventional/retail..etc). I don't have to save it to a file, and it stays when I reboot/shutdown/close np.

Another thing I like is the fact I don't need an account, or a website to connect to, to download my info or upload it to. If your website is down, my info is stuck on your server until the site is back up and I'm able to download it again. Also, password security - enough websites get hacked as it is, I'd rather not have another account online.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
An ongoing problem is varying alpha tag sizes per radio. Some of mine have 6 chars, others have 16. One freq or TG would need multiple alpha tags - if that problem is in scope.

NebraskaCoder

An ongoing problem is varying alpha tag sizes per radio. Some of mine have 6 chars, others have 16. One freq or TG would need multiple alpha tags - if that problem is in scope.
That's a good point and something I will add. Some programs don't care about the length (I think that would apply to OP25, even though it may run off the screen). I would probably have an unrestricted (or 100 character max) main one and then an option both on the item itself to have a few short versions and/or on the profile (for the application) where it already knows the limit and can be set at that time. Thank you for that reminder!

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
As someone who owns Uniden, Whistler and Radioddity radios and scanners, the ultimate trick would be to create a single repository, where you could import your information into each different radio, without having to recreate the information to your liking each time. Adding on to what eorange said, for example, I use the RR database and import feature, but rarely use it's Alpha Tag information. I have to recreate the Alpha Tag info for each zone/vscanner/profile that I have.

NebraskaCoder

As someone who owns Uniden, Whistler and Radioddity radios and scanners, the ultimate trick would be to create a single repository, where you could import your information into each different radio, without having to recreate the information to your liking each time. Adding on to what eorange said, for example, I use the RR database and import feature, but rarely use it's Alpha Tag information. I have to recreate the Alpha Tag info for each zone/vscanner/profile that I have.

This is the main problem I'm hoping to solve. You have a base repository (well, multiple "buckets" so you can have multiple repositories) and your "profiles" will link to a bucket/repo and you just keep the bucket/repo up to date and it will keep all of the profiles up to date. A profile will be the config of the scanner/radio/SDR app. I also have API access to import data from RadioReference, maybe even finding a way to auto-sync so it is always up to date.

NebraskaCoder

You sound like an AWS developer. :D
Not a 100%. I didn't know what to call what some scanners call profiles as I want to use profiles as the name for a config (unless I use config, haha), so I went down that route. I do plan to host this in AWS.

Reconrider

Not a 100%. I didn't know what to call what some scanners call profiles as I want to use profiles as the name for a config (unless I use config, haha), so I went down that route. I do plan to host this in AWS.
sds series have profiles which store the scanner settings.
The favorites is what stores the frequencies and other rrdb info.
On the trx, it's just called scanlists.

NebraskaCoder

sds series have profiles which store the scanner settings.
The favorites is what stores the frequencies and other rrdb info.
On the trx, it's just called scanlists.
You know, it's been awhile that I forgot that profiles didn't contain frequencies. I may have to spend a few more minutes to make sure I still want to use the terms buckets and profiles. I wasn't a fan of how uniden's profiles only turn on and off favorites but not completely separate them. I want to offer a way to have a separate area, or even a shared area with a team of people while still having other (areas). I could use spaces or areas as the name, but now buckets still stands out to me.

Reconrider

You know, it's been awhile that I forgot that profiles didn't contain frequencies. I may have to spend a few more minutes to make sure I still want to use the terms buckets and profiles. I wasn't a fan of how uniden's profiles only turn on and off favorites but not completely separate them. I want to offer a way to have a separate area, or even a shared area with a team of people while still having other (areas). I could use spaces or areas as the name, but now buckets still stands out to me.
What are you using the term "buckets' for?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Will your software include a virtual operation feature? I already use 2 progs for my scanners, Sentinel & RRDB to program and ProScan for virtual operations. If one could do it all I would be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.