New SD Phase 2 buildout timeline site

bbtkd

Feed Provider
For those that haven't heard, since the new radio system will be P25 Phase 2, many older digital scanners won't work with the new system. The following Uniden models are the only Unidens that are compatible with P25 Phase 2;
  • HomePatrol-2
  • BCD996P2 (not the T or XT)
  • BCD325P2
  • BCD436HP
  • BCD536HP
  • SDS100
  • SDS200
If you have any other Uniden digital scanners, you should upgrade now. The scanners above handle the current system too. I just received a BCD996P2 to replace my BCD996XT feed scanner. If you're in an area that has or will have simulcast (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Black Hills) you might consider the SDS100 or SDS200 in order to avoid simulcast audio issues.

Last edited:

ctadam12

For those that haven't heard, since the new radio system will be P25 Phase 2, many older digital scanners won't work with the new system. The following Uniden models are the only Unidens that are compatible with P25 Phase 2;
  • HomePatrol-2
  • BCD325P2
  • BCD436HP
  • BCD536HP
  • SDS100
  • SDS200
If you have any other Uniden digital scanners, you should upgrade now. The scanners above handle the current system too. I just received a BCD996P2 to replace my BCD996XT feed scanner. If you're in an area that has or will have simulcast (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Black Hills) you might consider the SDS100 or SDS200 in order to avoid simulcast audio issues.

What kind of issues would the simulcast sites bring?

bbtkd

Feed Provider
What kind of issues would the simulcast sites bring?

Audio distortion to include being garbled or low/no volume. That said, I've rarely experienced it on the current Sioux Falls 3-site multicast system. Sioux Falls metro area is slated to have many more sites under the new system, so it will be more likely. It happens when the scanner is receiving two or more simultaneous transmissions on the same frequency from different sites. Your location matters too. The more sites you're in range of the more likely you'll have the issue. The SMS scanners catch and correct much of that. The two way radios used on the system are designed to avoid the issue also.

Check the article Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
  • HomePatrol-2
  • BCD325P2
  • BCD436HP
  • BCD536HP
  • SDS100
  • SDS200
Thank for this info. I will have to be replacing a Radio Shack Pro69 and 2 Radio Shack Pro 2096 units, so cost in a big factor for me at this time. I have been looking at the BCD325P2 and the BCD996P2 as being in my price range in the future. I am in the Sioux Falls area. but the SDS1000 is kinda out of my price range. I have had good luck all these years with my R S radios, but think I will go with the Bearcat next. Any helpful thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks !

bbtkd

Feed Provider
To keep cost down, I'd suggest buying a used BCD996P2, BCD325P2, or BCD436HP on Ebay. Might take some patience to find a good price because many sellers list used scanners for over the Amazon price. I don't have any experience with the 325, but it should work. The 436 is a decent radio, but I'd stay away from the 536 due to reliability issues. The free option would be to just listen to the feed, though note that some of the more "interesting" channels aren't allowed on the feed.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
I've never bought new. So far so good. I have gotten a couple with cigarette smoke inundated units but cleaned up pretty good.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
  • HomePatrol-2
  • BCD325P2
  • BCD436HP
  • BCD536HP
  • SDS100
  • SDS200
I would wait, Currently, the P25 system is only running FDMA talk groups so the 996XT/396XT/HP1(And some Whistler/GRE/RS Scanners) would still work
A system I regularly monitor did the same thing and went to a P25 Phase 2 system but only ran FDMA talk groups so my 996XT worked fine.
In fact, since they stayed with only 800mhz channels and FDMA I still have a BC796D that will still track the system
So no need to upgrade unless they start using TDMA talk groups

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
I would wait, Currently, the P25 system is only running FDMA talk groups so the 996XT/396XT/HP1(And some Whistler/GRE/RS Scanners) would still work
A system I regularly monitor did the same thing and went to a P25 Phase 2 system but only ran FDMA talk groups so my 996XT worked fine.
In fact, since they stayed with only 800mhz channels and FDMA I still have a BC796D that will still track the system
So no need to upgrade unless they start using TDMA talk groups

Same here in Mississippi. Most TG are still Phase 1 so 3 of my scanners still work great. State police and wildlife have been TDMA for years.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
To keep cost down, I'd suggest buying a used BCD996P2, BCD325P2, or BCD436HP on Ebay. Might take some patience to find a good price because many sellers list used scanners for over the Amazon price. I don't have any experience with the 325, but it should work. The 436 is a decent radio, but I'd stay away from the 536 due to reliability issues. The free option would be to just listen to the feed, though note that some of the more "interesting" channels aren't allowed on the feed.
Thank you. I have had good luck all these years with Radio Shack, is there any Radio Shack P25Phase2 radios that you would suggest?

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Radio shack is out of the scanner business. When they did sell them, they were either manufactured by GRE (now Whistler) or Uniden. Both of which make very good scanners. I have GRE, Whistler, and Uniden scanners and they all work well for what they were intended. However, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.