New SDR for HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Why the #^!! did they put an "F" connector on the Excalibur ? An "F" connector? I just shake my head at that one.

D

DaveNF2G

I hate F connectors.

It hasn't been released yet, so maybe some feedback from their potential customer base would influence the design.

prcguy

I don't think an F connector is appropriate for this product either but the performance of compression type F connectors is fine past 2GHz. There is not much difference between a BNC and F at these frequencies and a top quality T&B Snap-N-Seal F connector is about 38c each and stripping/compression tools are fairly inexpensive too.
prcguy

I hate F connectors.

It hasn't been released yet, so maybe some feedback from their potential customer base would influence the design.

D

DaveNF2G

I like SMA connectors only slightly more than F connectors. They are simply difficult to use and don't offer sufficient performance advantages over other types to justify the aggravation.

brusso99

i use to use pl259 but now i use f-connectors and bnc for most everything. i make cables with f Antenna side and BNC Scanner Side.. Its all works great.. RG-6Q sweep tested to 3GHZ 65 dollars for 500 feet

Last edited:

prcguy

SMA offers performance way beyond BNC and all but specialty N types. The standard SMA is rated to 18GHz and K types to 40GHz. Yea there a little small but no big deal to work with.
prcguy

I like SMA connectors only slightly more than F connectors. They are simply difficult to use and don't offer sufficient performance advantages over other types to justify the aggravation.

D

DaveNF2G

So what? Scanners only go to 2 GHz at most. Practically all monitorable traffic is below 1 GHz.

Note that this thread is about a radio for HF. Microwave performance is utterly irrelevant.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Looks like a interesting receiver, too bad there will not be a Passport to World Bands 2010.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
There are a bunch of SDR receivers out there now. Just varying levels of polish on the projects.

SDR Software Defined Radio - KINGSQUEAK.ORG & KC2RGW.COM

HPSDR
Hermes
Softrock
Flex Radio 1500 is now out
Microtelecom Perseus
RF Space SDR-IQ and SDR-14 with a new SDR-IP coming soon
QS1R, which is the one I own
LP-PAN I/Q down converter for IF outputs, used with PowerSDR..owned one of those for a while
GNU Radio Ettus USRP

Many other projects as well, the list grows almost quarterly...and those are only the ones I notice.

The next few years is going to be an explosion in SDR. Should be fun.

k2rgf

Very cool website you have there kc2rgw!! I am also running the QS1R. I have a buddy in Brooklyn,NY running the Perseus. Alot of info out on the web to build your very own SDR for very cheap!!! Open source software, some wire and your on your way.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Yeah I had run the LP-PAN and PowerSDR with a soundcard first and got hooked so I wanted a 'quick fix' that would run on linux and blew the cash on the QS1R.

Now that I'm settling in a bit, I think I may dabble with some of the kit options out there.

The software nuts and bolts is too far over my head still. I've done layout and button function changes to the SDRMAX 3.0 and earlier prototype releases but no major feature changes underneath yet. I'm learning it bit by bit as time goes on though.

SCPD

QRT
Very cool. I really expected it to be above the $1000 mark. That's very smart if they decide to sell it at that price or perhaps $799. If it performs well, then it should be a hot seller.

Since the new Icom 9100 is out of my price range, I'm definitely looking at a SDR for my next SWL purchase.

I'm thinking about waiting for the next generation of Perseus receivers or perhaps this new WinRadio model.

Status
Not open for further replies.