New SDS 100 .STL file for 3D printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I found a pretty cool desktop stand for the 436HP. I tried to redo it for the sds100, but I couldn't get it just right. So, I asked my good friend @dodge Rice to give me some help. Two days later he sends me the perfect .stl for our sds100 with the fat battery cover. I'll attach a pic of mine. If anyone wants a copy of the .stl Dodge has ok'd me to share it free. Let me know, or if there is a problem with posting it. I don't want to step on anyone's toes that are selling stands but, I subscribe to the "open source" community in this hobby. There have been many, many people that have helped me and shared free files in this hobby as well as the 3D printing community. If it will be a problem, just let it be known and I will share it by PM.
-Bobby

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Looks very nice. Good job!
I can't take the credit! @dave312 on Thingiverse had the orignal for the 436HP and @dodge Rice reworked it for me to fit the sds100.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Very cool stands. Have to admit I know nothing about 3D printers and their capabilities. Do you have options such as an alternate (black) colors? Can you emboss a callsign or custom lettering on the stands? They look nice and sturdy. I'll take three lol

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Very cool stands. Have to admit I know nothing about 3D printers and their capabilities. Do you have options such as an alternate (black) colors? Can you emboss a callsign or custom lettering on the stands? They look nice and sturdy. I'll take three lol
Well, yes. They can be printed in any color. I'm not really selling them. I was just offering the 3D stl file for those that want it. If you want one I don't mind making one for you. PM me.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Half in jest, but if you ever decide to make a cottage industry of it that would be cool. I have the Spectrum Force stands, and they have quite the footprint on my desk. Any time I see an alternative stand I take a look see. I also have a couple of heavy duty stands from nifty and they are quite nice. You do good work from what I can tell. Keep it up!

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Here is the STS file for all. This is the file that you use to "print" the stand on your 3D printer. If you don't have a printer. I can print it for you. Just PM me.As I stated in my original post, this in NOT my design! The original design was from @dave312 on Thingiverse.com. The "redesign" to fit the sds100 was done by my friend @DodgeTheMachinist on Thingiverse. The design is offered free. After download, change the name from ScannerMount1.txt to ScannerMount1.stl

Attachments

• ScannerMount1.txt
    253 KB · Views: 149

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Here is the vertical stand in the pic that has "sds100" on the side. It is a 5 hour print on my Ender 3 Pro. Again, change the .txt to .stl.

Attachments

• SDS100_Base_V3.txt
    499.4 KB · Views: 107

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Five hours to print!?

Wow! I admit I know nothing about 3d printers, but I am off to UTube for a look-see. I remember reading that the gubmint (ATF) was a tad bit concerned when they found out that a few people were making operable guns with 3d printers. I wonder, did they really work?

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Five hours to print!?

Wow! I admit I know nothing about 3d printers, but I am off to UTube for a look-see. I remember reading that the gubmint (ATF) was a tad bit concerned when they found out that a few people were making operable guns with 3d printers. I wonder, did they really work?
Go to the website www.thingiverse.com You will find tons of free and shareable designs of every hobby or subject imaginable. Including the files that I posted.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I printed the vertical stand a while ago & it turned out too small. I need to see what's going on with that. Just printed the latest stand overnight got the alert it finished. Can't wait to get home & check it out!

KE5MC

spywiz,
Thanks for sharing the specific files. Thingiverse is like looking in Webster's Dictionary to find the spelling of a specific word. I get easily distracted with all the other words I did't know or use. I have a Prusa Mini to arrive in 3-4 weeks and now have something to 'play' with until it arrives.

To TailGator911 question on a operable gun, 3-D printers using metal are currently in use. The cost of that machine would easily outfit a really nice machine shop. Plastics vary in strength and heat resistance, but nothing likely to make a gun more than just a working model. Which in itself is an interesting work flow process.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yeah it's not a quick process by any means, but it is pretty slick. I just got a 3D printer back in the spring so I'm still kinda new to it as well but it's a lot of fun. The color you print in is just determined by the color of filament that you are using.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why they printed small. I just used the the .stl file the way that it was on Thingiverse with the same settings. Printed it on my Ender 3 pro. I have printed 6 of the basic vertical stands and I think 12 of the others that are 45 degree/vertical, with the speaker holes (honeycomb) pattern in the front. I spent about 5 hours with my buddy Dodge Rice (DodgeTheMachinist) learning how to place the inset SDS100, or whatever inlaid text on the sides. I used the website www.tinkercad.com to edit the original .stl file. It was a fun learning process. Dodge is a great machinist as well as a 3d print designer. He has been a godsend in my short time of learning to get the most out of my 3d printer. He is such a great teacher. 3d printing is very economical to get into. You can get a Creality Ender 3 Pro for less than $200 US shipped. PLA (plastic) filament for less than $20 for a 2.2lb spool. I am guessing that I could print approx. 30-40 of the 45 degree stands with a 2.2lb spool. Just guessing. But a spool goes a long way. It takes a little work to learn and calibrate the printer, but after that if you are a tinkerer (most of us are) then things get a lot easier. There are hundreds if not thousands of great YouTube videos that will teach you step-by-step "everything" you need to know. From start to finish and everything in between. All using the very same Ender 3 pro that you have in front of you. It is one of those hobbies that compliment all of your other hobbies. Once you start 3d printing, it becomes addictive. It really is a fun hobby. There are so many people in the community the really "love" to help newbies learn. Attached are a couple of pics of my new skill of inlaid text on an SDS100 stand. SDS100 on the left side and my callsign (KD4NSZ) on the right side. I hadn't re-leveled my print bed recently so the quality of the one in the pic doesn't look great. But this one is the one beside my chair, so I am the only one that sees it.
2 new photos by Bobby Dedman

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I have an Ender 3 X (glass bed). The angled stand printed perfectly but I made my supports too aggressive and it was impossible to remove the one inside the radio holder without breaking the grille. LOVE the design! Will be re-printing this afternoon.

The base stand needs to be about 10% larger when printed on my unit. I'm going to check the STL file measurements vs the as-built to see how much I need to up-scale. I'm sure it's something on my end that made it that way.

100% agree the 3D printing hobby is really fun. Pair it with a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi & webcam, you have a great little setup. I print WAY more things that I ever imagined.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If size is wrong, check your axis steps/mm settings. If they aren't correct, the print scale will be off on the affected axis. Its part of the process of setting up the printer correctly.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I have an Ender 3 X (glass bed). The angled stand printed perfectly but I made my supports too aggressive and it was impossible to remove the one inside the radio holder without breaking the grille. LOVE the design! Will be re-printing this afternoon.

The base stand needs to be about 10% larger when printed on my unit. I'm going to check the STL file measurements vs the as-built to see how much I need to up-scale. I'm sure it's something on my end that made it that way.

100% agree the 3D printing hobby is really fun. Pair it with a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi & webcam, you have a great little setup. I print WAY more things that I ever imagined.
No supports are needed with this print!!

Status
Not open for further replies.