SDS100/SDS200: New SDS Firmware is here!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So this is the firmware that was discussed to accommodate new hardware changes that had to be made on newer units because of shortages. And look at that, there is also the change in the steps of searching and discovery.

Since I have older units I did not bother to update but I think I will now just to get the new Step ranges.

a417

U+0000
That's been the current for quite some time.

Here's the thread where it was mentioned, my SDS reports current firmware is most recent and I haven't even checked it since christmas time. The Twiki page appears to have been edited with some date changes, but that was basically the same thing it said over the new year. I checked the wayback machine, and sadly it didn't crawl the page between Jan '21 and today, so unless someone else has a revision history of it - or archived it, I forget what it actually said.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's been the current for quite some time.
I know they had made the hardware accommodation for the x36 models but I didn't realize that the SDS models also were updated to accommodate different Hardware secondary to shortages. I also didn't realize that there was a minor step changes for searching and discovery. Cool.

I see there's an update for Sentinel also.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I know they had made the hardware accommodation for the x36 models but I didn't realize that the SDS models also were updated to accommodate different Hardware secondary to shortages. I also didn't realize that there was a minor step changes for searching and discovery. Cool.

I see there's an update for Sentinel also.
Yes, and the update for Sentinel is required to use the new freq. steps.

This may/or may not be the same firmware updates reported over in Europe.

My surprise was it's dated 6-29-22 but @JoeBearcat hasn't posted here in the firmware thread. Of course, there was a holiday and it's vacation season, and pretty much nobody works 24/7.😊

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes, and the update for Sentinel is required to use the new freq. steps.

This may/or may not be the same firmware updates reported over in Europe.

My surprise was it's dated 6-29-22 but @JoeBearcat hasn't posted here in the firmware thread. Of course, there was a holiday and it's vacation season, and pretty much nobody works 24/7.😊
It kind of makes sense the original firmware update to accommodate new hardware on the x36, if I remember correctly was just to accommodate new hardware, but would not affect older radios without the hardware change. Maybe the change in search steps were added and just for simplification a new date was put on the same firmware update because it now has the step changes.

People thought that they heard improved modulation on the European SDS100 but have no way of knowing without release notes.

NoahWL

Premium Subscriber
I updated BCDSentinel from 2.02 to 2.03, but when I try to update my SDS100's firmware it tells me it is already up to date. It is currently running 1.10.00. Has anyone been able to update? Perhaps the wiki was updated prior to the actual release and it will be out shortly.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I updated BCDSentinel from 2.02 to 2.03, but when I try to update my SDS100's firmware it tells me it is already up to date. It is currently running 1.10.00. Has anyone been able to update? Perhaps the wiki was updated prior to the actual release and it will be out shortly.
Yes, I updated my SDS200 with the new firmware.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It kind of makes sense the original firmware update to accommodate new hardware on the x36, if I remember correctly was just to accommodate new hardware, but would not affect older radios without the hardware change. Maybe the change in search steps were added and just for simplification a new date was put on the same firmware update because it now has the step changes.

People thought that they heard improved modulation on the European SDS100 but have no way of knowing without release notes.
I would report the same, the audio does *seem* clearer... But that is just my opinion and could be my imagination. I always thought my SDS200 had pretty clean audio so maybe no change at all.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I am getting the same message when I try to update my SDS100 (2020 manufacture date) that @NoahWL is getting. The message says that my SDS100 is up to date. It has firmware 1.10.00 and sub version 1.02.01.

The Sentinel update to 2.03 went fine and now has the new tuning steps for custom searches, but I don't have any need for them.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I would report the same, the audio does *seem* clearer... But that is just my opinion and could be my imagination. I always thought my SDS200 had pretty clean audio so maybe no change at all.
So you updated Sentinel and updated the firmware in both the 100 and 200 USA models and you notice there could be an improvement in the SDS 100 audio?

That's interesting, it's even more interesting that it's not included in the release notes.. if there is actually an improvement in audio, that's a big deal and maybe it will be added to the release notes and was left out by mistake.

This is obviously a fluid situation that eventually will be clarified down the line.. I hope.

For the moment my SDS200 is permanently mounted on my bedside and I would have to unscrew it and move around ham stuff to bring it to the desktop to update as you can't do it just on the card, you need the radio itself, so I'm going to hold off a little bit as I don't need those particular steps as I don't really search or do discovery. When I get a chance I'll update.

Same deal with the 100, it's permanently mounted in my car with a Larson triband, I'm actually one of those Strange Birds who thinks the audio on the 100 is excellent and better than if I use a communication speaker. It's loud and clear in the car.

I will eventually update both.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the latest Sentinel upgrade, but I am confused. Is there a separate Sentinel upgrade for the SDS100?

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I did the Sentinel update to version 2.03, then did SDS200 firmware update. I noticed while scanning my detailed conventional FL's in the field next to the DATE (left of date) the word "ENCRY" appeared very briefly. I must have an encrypted station in there. Not sure how it got in there but I remember Sentinel gives option not to import encrypted freqs. I checked that field and it was assigned "Digital Status".
Can't tell if audio is better though. I have everything set to WIDE NORMAL after experimenting with the filters.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Updated Sentinel to 2.03 and updated my SDS200 firmware. Put me in the camp that says the audio sounds clearer and to clarify that is on the local P25 channels I listen to.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
So you updated Sentinel and updated the firmware in both the 100 and 200 USA models and you notice there could be an improvement in the SDS 100 audio?

That's interesting, it's even more interesting that it's not included in the release notes.. if there is actually an improvement in audio, that's a big deal and maybe it will be added to the release notes and was left out by mistake.

This is obviously a fluid situation that eventually will be clarified down the line.. I hope.

For the moment my SDS200 is permanently mounted on my bedside and I would have to unscrew it and move around ham stuff to bring it to the desktop to update as you can't do it just on the card, you need the radio itself, so I'm going to hold off a little bit as I don't need those particular steps as I don't really search or do discovery. When I get a chance I'll update.

Same deal with the 100, it's permanently mounted in my car with a Larson triband, I'm actually one of those Strange Birds who thinks the audio on the 100 is excellent and better than if I use a communication speaker. It's loud and clear in the car.

I will eventually update both.
No, I don't have a 100, just a 200.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I am getting the same message when I try to update my SDS100 (2020 manufacture date) that @NoahWL is getting. The message says that my SDS100 is up to date. It has firmware 1.10.00 and sub version 1.02.01.

The Sentinel update to 2.03 went fine and now has the new tuning steps for custom searches, but I don't have any need for them.
If it makes any difference, I updated Sentenel first. Rebooted my PC (not required but I do it out of habit) started up Sentenel, plugged in the USB cable, selected Mass Storage, selected Firmware in the update drop down, it went searched and then downloaded and the update firmware do not turn off power message showed on my sds200 and it rebooted. Zero issues.