SDS100/SDS200: New SDS100 USB Issues

cruzer96

Premium Subscriber
Searched Forums but didn't really find an answer. When i plug in my new SDS100 to laptop it beeps but no "mass drive" option pops up. but in Windows 11 Home device manger shows under Ports= Uniden Serial Port(com4). Changed to com2(which was free) still no good. In windows explore it does not show a mass storage drive except my SS USB backup drive I unplugged it still no good. I took SD micro card out and was able to read it on laptop. I have Sentinel and ARC536PRO neither sees scanner. I also changed power option on the USB Serial Bus Controllers. A couple times it did pop up on scanner the USB power error. ANY IDEAS. I did back up the MicroSD card. Also, when I purchased it came preinstalled with waterfall I purchased with the scanner.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Plug the cord into the miniUSB port (marked charge)
Wait for the display to ask press "." or "E"
Press "E:

You will now be in mass storage mode and the computer will 'mount' the SD card as a drive.
Sentinel will now also see it.

If you don't get the prompt, something is wrong.
Use the supplied Uniden cord.
If still no prompt, try another USB port on the computer (not a hub)

cruzer96

Premium Subscriber
Plug the cord into the miniUSB port (marked charge)
Wait for the display to ask press "." or "E"
Press "E:

You will now be in mass storage mode and the computer will 'mount' the SD card as a drive.
Sentinel will now also see it.

If you don't get the prompt, something is wrong.
Use the supplied Uniden cord.
If still no prompt, try another USB port on the computer (not a hub)
Yeap ...."something is wrong" it was the dreaded ID10T Error I unpacked, plugged up cable to charge port, entered zip code and played around with it a bit, then left it overnight to charge. Today came home from work unplugged the cable then got a Micro USB cable and started trying to connect to PC to clean up some the entries. Used the upper Micro USB port. Did what you said and BAMM there's the mass storage display. So, what is the upper micro port for? nessent Ill buy ya a cup of coffee next time I see Ya lol Thanks

cwaz

Premium Subscriber
Searched Forums but didn't really find an answer. When i plug in my new SDS100 to laptop it beeps but no "mass drive" option pops up. but in Windows 11 Home device manger shows under Ports= Uniden Serial Port(com4). Changed to com2(which was free) still no good. In windows explore it does not show a mass storage drive except my SS USB backup drive I unplugged it still no good. I took SD micro card out and was able to read it on laptop. I have Sentinel and ARC536PRO neither sees scanner. I also changed power option on the USB Serial Bus Controllers. A couple times it did pop up on scanner the USB power error. ANY IDEAS. I did back up the MicroSD card. Also, when I purchased it came preinstalled with waterfall I purchased with the scanner.
I just sent mine to Uniden to replace the port. I had mine for two years and it became clear that the port failed. Maybe same for you.

Reactions: RRR

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
So, what is the upper micro port for?
Sadly, Paul (UPMan) told us it was for "future use", but what that use was going to be may have been lost when we lost him. :cry:

One thing you *can* do with it is power the scanner. I will sometimes plug in a micro-USB power supply (like for a Raspberry Pi) and run mine.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
This is slightly off topic, but about that USB Micro jack. At Hamvention, I spoke to a Scannermaster rep. They had a working prototype remote head on display. Don't have pics, but that will use the USB Micro jack to operate. Very compact head, 2 knobs, touch screen display & built-in speaker. Said it was compatible with most Uniden scanners with that jack. Fall '24 planned release, but no MSRP yet either. Anything can change between now & then, but just thought I'd mention it.
-Phil

Ubbe

The mini USB jack on most models have access to the CPU but the micro jack on SDS scanners can only communicate with the DSP, to get audio and set parameters for the SDR receiver and produce the waterfall display. No CPU connection possible from that jack so cannot program or be used for a remote head.

There where rumors about SDS100, SDS200 and SDS500 and the 100 and 200 turned out to be true but we still have to see a SDS500 device being announced.

/Ubbe

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
The mini USB jack on most models have access to the CPU but the micro jack on SDS scanners can only communicate with the DSP, to get audio and set parameters for the SDR receiver and produce the waterfall display. No CPU connection possible from that jack so cannot program or be used for a remote head.

There where rumors about SDS100, SDS200 and SDS500 and the 100 and 200 turned out to be true but we still have to see a SDS500 device being announced.

/Ubbe
Yep, you are correct. My bad !

oc-pgh-Dave

I just sent mine to Uniden to replace the port. I had mine for two years and it became clear that the port failed. Maybe same for you.

If. you don't mind me asking, how much did Uniden charge for this fix? My micro USB has failed too and I do like the option of powering the radio without charging the battery. However, I'm not sure this will be worth the dollars to me for a Uniden fix though.

Other than the power without charge and a rumored add-on display I don't see much use for the micro USB port. Of course if I wear out the mini USB through daily plugging I will lose programming functionality -- a bridge to cross at a later time. I suspect the mini port will be more durable than the micro.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If. you don't mind me asking, how much did Uniden charge for this fix? My micro USB has failed too and I do like the option of powering the radio without charging the battery. However, I'm not sure this will be worth the dollars to me for a Uniden fix though.

Other than the power without charge and a rumored add-on display I don't see much use for the micro USB port. Of course if I wear out the mini USB through daily plugging I will lose programming functionality -- a bridge to cross at a later time. I suspect the mini port will be more durable than the micro.
Uniden is flat rate repair.

With shipping back to you, it's around $90.00