New,single father, what do I need for my area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm0618

There has been a bunch of police active in my neighborhood (Rankin County MS near the reservoir)the past week. What is a good very easy to use scanner? Where to buy and have programed?

Wthom100

MJM -

You may want to post your note in the specific state section (MS) of the forum. People who look in that portion of the forum will be more familiar with your specific area and could likely be more helpful on frequencies suggestions, etc..

You can purchase scanners either on-line from many locations (e.g. Scannermaster, Radio Shack, etc.), or from a physical location. If you are near a Radio Shack that might be a good place to start.

You have come to the right place here a Radio Reference - you can find the most useful and concise information - go to the Wiki section and look under radio models. Also, you can learn a lot just going through the forums here on Radio Reference (start by looking in the "Getting Started" forum section).

I am sure others who have many years experience will respond to your note as well.

Good luck - Wthom100

N8IAA

There has been a bunch of police active in my neighborhood (Rankin County MS near the reservoir)the past week. What is a good very easy to use scanner? Where to buy and have programed?

Not from MS, but did look up your county in the RR database.
With the exception of the city of Pearl, which uses the statewide P-25 Phase II system, Rankin county is on an analog trunk system.
You can use any of the current analog trunk tracker scanners. Such as the 346XT, or any of the discontinued Radio Shack scanners, Pro-163, Pro-164.
As posted about where to buy and have programmed, I would suggest going to the MS state forums. You'll get a ton of help there!
HTH,
Larry

wtp

have you done this before?

did you have a scanner before or is this totally new.
a thought is to listen online and see if you like it.
go to the top of the page to live audio go to live audio home go to your state go to your county click and listen for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.