new software ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtc970

I am writing remote control software for my BCT-8 (can be converted for any other scanner with a serial interface), I dont know much about scanning, but I wanted to add alpha tags to any frequency that pops up. I bought BUtels ARC8, but I feel it is lacking quite a bit, especially for the money they charge.

My questions to you are,
Is there a demand for such software?
What features would you like to see?

Completed:
View front face & Remotely control scanner from any computer on my network or internet.
Set unlimited alpha tags for any frequency
Figuring out what to add into all that extra "LCD" space

Currently:
Setting and Editing alpha tags online
having to reset the server on some reloads due to serial port not releasing.

Future plans:
Hopefully stream real-time audio
Set/save/reorder banks (trunks)
Psuedo scans?

if anyone is interested in seeing or playing with what I have please let me know.

Attachments

• SCREEN_01.gif
    SCREEN_01.gif
    55.9 KB · Views: 248

jtc970

If I can find the serial commands for it I will.

what features do you need?

blueline_308

I would certainly be interested in this for the Uniden 996. The commands can be downloaded from Uniden website. Feel free to PM about this.

BL

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 2051 uses GRE firmware, and thus cannot be controlled by a PC. Only up/downloads are supported. In addition, ARC996 has just been released, and Scan Control just issued their first release (programming only - more functions are coming) for 996 support.

I'm curious - what did you not find on the BCT8 wiki in the software section? What specifically are you looking to do? Just from what you've written in the first thread, software already exists to do those things. For example, you can use ARC EasyStream to do the streaming audio, although I don't doubt there are many other streaming packages out there.

73s Mike

blueline_308

Maybe he is doing it because...well...he just wants to. :)

I think its good to have more options availible to us and competition can be good also.

BL

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, competition is good - I was just curious. It's interesting sometimes to get inside a developer's head to see what s/he is thinking as they code. I know, 'cause I am one.

73s Mike

jtc970

IMO The ARc-8 software seemed very clunky, but as I said I am not an expert at scanning, so I am writing the software to do what I would like it to do..plust the $50 price tag should include more? Maybe with the streaming software included, I would have been happy. Granted Arc-8 may do alot more than my software will, and I'm not looking to replace it.
I've only played with it for a day or so, and was so frustrated that I decided to do this.

I dont believe Arc-8 can
use alpha tags not imitied to channels, or character count.
allow you to control the radio remotely
leave notes/comments on frequencies and see them on the browsers "LCD"
upload/download settings without closing the face view
use setting on load? instead of having to open them each time.

and any other suggestions people would like that are not available in current software.

The biggest downside of this software will be that it will need a server and PHP installed on the hosting computer... but those are free and relatively easy to install
I'm very happy with the way it is coming along, so thats the main thing :)

Last edited:

jtc970

The front panel interface is done and works perfectly with Arc-Eazy stream (demo version for now), I'd like to test it with someone who has the eazy stream client, they will be able to control my radio completely, I would just like to know how in synch it is from a distant remote.
Let me know if you are interested and I will pm you the link

Status
Not open for further replies.