New software: Rocket Broadcaster (Win, Free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asantoni

broadcast1.png

Hi guys,

I know some of you broadcast via Icecast and SHOUTcast servers, so I figured I'd drop a line here to let you all know about new internet radio broadcasting software I've just released: Rocket Broadcaster.

In a nutshell, it's like Edcast, BUTT, or SAM Broadcaster, but just focused on live broadcasting or feeding live audio to your radio station. My focus was making something more streamlined than the rest, so maybe some of its features might be useful to you:

• It can record audio from any application, like Skype, Spotify, iTunes, etc. If you want to feed something like your SDR's audio into it, that's easy too. Just fire up SDR# and Rocket will capture it's audio. (No virtual audio cable required!)
  • It also records from your microphone or line-in.
  • Automatic metadata capture - it can capture metadata from another window and send that to your streaming server.
  • Encoders: It supports MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Opus, and lossless Ogg FLAC.
  • Protocols: Supports broadcasting to Icecast and SHOUTcast servers.

For the power users, there is a "Pro edition" that also supports multiple streams/encoders at once, SSL for Icecast, and the ability to choose which network adapter your streams run over. (This is handy if you have a backup internet connection - For example, you can have two streams running over two separate internet connections, so that if one internet connection goes down, the other keeps streaming seamlessly.)

Anyways, if anyone has any feedback or feature suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to make the free edition better than anything else out there, so your feedback means a lot to me.

Thanks,
Albert

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Very catchy looking software. Looks extremely easy to use. I'll definitely be trying it out.

One question - is the free version locked at a bitrate of 192 kbps, or is that the maximum you can set it? For live audio feeds on RadioReference/Broadcasify the maximum bitrate allowed is 16 kbps for mono feeds and 32 kbps for stereo feeds which is why I'm asking.

asantoni

Hi Daniel,

Good question! The free version is currently locked to one bitrate (which I've just changed to 128 kbps, by popular demand), but I had never thought about these very low bitrates. Maybe I can include a 16 kbps + 11025 Hz preset in the free edition or something to make it compatible with Broadcastify. Would that be fair?

I've also just released a couple of updates that smooth out some kinks in Shoutcast streaming and support for certain finnicky soundcards. If anyone's tried it out in the last few days, I'd highly recommend downloading the latest update.

Thanks!
Albert

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Hi Daniel,

Good question! The free version is currently locked to one bitrate (which I've just changed to 128 kbps, by popular demand), but I had never thought about these very low bitrates. Maybe I can include a 16 kbps + 11025 Hz preset in the free edition or something to make it compatible with Broadcastify. Would that be fair?

I've also just released a couple of updates that smooth out some kinks in Shoutcast streaming and support for certain finnicky soundcards. If anyone's tried it out in the last few days, I'd highly recommend downloading the latest update.

Thanks!
Albert

Very fair! Along with adding 16 kbps, please also add 32 kbps for those that provide stereo feeds. Also an option for local recording instead of or in addition to streaming would be a nice (PRO) feature. :)

richtidd

Database Admin
Hi Daniel,

Thanks!
Albert

Albert

We do have feed broadcasting standards as follows:

For a one radio mono feed:
Channels = 1 for Mono
Bit rate = 16kbps
Sample rate = 22050kHz
Format = MP3

For a two radio stereo feed:
Channels = 2 for Stereo
Bit rate = 32kbps