New South Lake Tahoe Radio System

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
The City of South Lake Tahoe was granted a license for a new P25 conventional radio system. It incorporates their current repeater frequencies along with some new repeater pairs that were previously base/mobile. If anyone can monitor in that area and report back, please do. It will be a while before I can get up there myself.

153.95000 - Current SLT FD 1
153.99500 - Current SLT FD 2
154.65000 - Current SLT PD 2
156.03000 - Current SLT PD 1
158.76000 - Current SLT PW

NOTE: When I was in Truckee back in July, I was able to receive P25 encrypted traffic on 154.650, NAC 114, P25 ENC. I'm not sure if this was SLT PD-related, but that was the best match-up for the area.

FCC Callsign WROQ847 (City of South Lake Tahoe)

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I didn't look closely enough at the emission designators on this new license. 8K30F1E, so they're actually getting licensed for NXDN (along with NFM analog), not P25. Now I'm even more curious for what people can report back once this starts taking shape.

officer_415

Database Admin
FWIW this news report said the new system would be ready in a year and a half, which would be this summer.

KG7PBS

I am betting SLT PD 1 will be P-25 in the clear. With SLT PD-2 Encrypted for DOJ and secure T/A. And SLT FD will just be P-25.

officer_415

Database Admin
From the South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue 2021 Annual Report:

"In 2021 the Department has worked closely with other city departments and Walker Telecomm, the selected Vendor to provide infrastructure upgrades as well as a state-of-the-art radio system from Kenwood EF Johnson that will soon be in the hands of public safety members from Police, Fire and Public Works. The focus has been on delivering a cost-effective system that will ensure Firefighter and Police Officer safety.

This has been a long process and we have been involved with the implementation team throughout the year as we have processed construction design and plans that were approved by the Planning Department and City Building Department as well as the Tahoe Regional Planning Association.

Infrastructure upgrades will include four new radio sites, a new tower at our Emergency 911 call center, a new fire station alerting system and a redundant backhaul system that includes microwave and fiber connections. 4 pallets of mobile radios for Public Works, Police and Fire vehicles have arrived and will be installed through the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2022.

Five racks of hardware were assembled and tested in Dallas, TX at the Kenwood facility with Walker Telecomm personnel and Chief Manning during September. The Tower and Shelter were delivered and installed the first of November of 2021. This project will continue through 2022 with anticipated completion in early 2023."

KG7PBS

So My question is will they go with the Kenwood NX or the Viking series ? I hope the NX 5200s. Or will they keep the Motorola XTS/APXs they have?

officer_415

Database Admin
So My question is will they go with the Kenwood NX or the Viking series ? I hope the NX 5200s. Or will they keep the Motorola XTS/APXs they have?

Looks like Viking series, if the graphics in the Annual Report are correct. VM7000 mobiles and VP6000 portables.

That news video from a year and a half ago showed the fire department still using old analog Bendix King radios.