New Start- Gap Fire- Los Padres NF South

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooperdude

Database Admin
Goleta/Santa Barbara area
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/conditions/2008fireupdates/

Gap Fire
The ICS 209 report this morning indicated the fire is 35 acres in size, but a report from the Los Padres NF indicates that the fire is estimated to be 230 to 260 acres. The fire is located 3.5 miles north of Goleta and the northwestern edge of Goleta has been evacuated, approximately 40 homes. The fire currently poses a threat to the community of Goleta, Hwy 101, and Amtrak rail lines.

* Acres: 35
* Containment: 0%
* Total Personnel: 227

Chano

Premium Subscriber
Gap ferquencies

Anyone have active fire fighting frequencies for the GAP incident in Goleta? I am looking for verified frequencies for this incident that are active. Thus far I have only heard Los Padres 170.00 air-ground coordination and 170.475 ground units.

The good news is that there have been no structures burned or people injured.

Thanks,
Chano

MCIAD

While I have not seen an official 205 yet, the most likely frequencies for that area are:

Santa Barbara Co. Ch. 2: 153.905/110.9
Los Padres Forest Net: 170.550/CSQ
Los Padres Service Net: 171.550/CSQ
Los Padres Air/Ground: 170.000/CSQ

and maybe:
CDF Command 1: 151.355/CSQ

If I see a 205 I'll update this thread for you, but don't count on it.

BTW - the ICS-209 from this AM (as of 06:00) lists the acreage at 2400 with no specified containment. However, the threat to Goleta has lessened to the effect that both of our T1 Strike Teams were demob'd and back home this morning around 08:00.

SCPD

QRT
Someone has waved the "nasty stick" at the Los Padres in the last three years! The fire management people on that Forest have to be feeling a little beleaguered. First the Day Fire two years ago, then last year the Zaca Fire, and now the Indians, Basin Complex, and Gap Fires. I know from personal experience what a huge workload it is to have a major fire on the Ranger District you work on. It is not so much the firefighting itself, but all the administration that begins once the suppression forces are demobilized. Burned area rehabilitation, public information, closures for public safety, trail rehab, recreation site reconstruction, watershed effects, road maintenance, the list goes on. I worked through a major fire on the Mammoth Ranger District back in 1992 and after about 10-12 weeks of long days that resulted from all of those jobs, I took one of the best vacations in my life. There are far fewer employees in the agency to handle such things in today's Forest Service so the workload is beyond what I can imagine.

I would love to pick up an Incident Action Plan from each fire in California right now. No doubt there would be some interesting information on the Comm plan portion of them. So many new frequencies popping up!

I have two banks (as in the older scanners I have), and three scan lists (as in PSR-600) in my scanners programmed for the frequencies used on large incidents. There is one bank or list with all the CDF tacticals, commands, and aviation frequencies, and one bank or list with all the NIFC frequencies, and finally in my PSR-600's I have one list with all the "Federal Interoperability Channels." Some of the latter have been showing up on large fires and being used for commands and tacticals. Use is somewhat limited right now because the Interoperability Channels are all narrow band, thus limiting their use when state and local forces are assigned to incidents. The closer we get to the state/local narrow band deadline in 2013, the greater the use of these frequencies will be.

Hopefully, someone can park their scanner on search during this latest large fire and report back the findings. That is the only way we are going to figure out if any new frequencies have been assigned for incident use. Access to official information has all but dried up due to homeland security concerns.

Last edited:

Chano

Premium Subscriber
171.55 Operations

Bill, thanks for your help. Command/Operations is active on 171.550 LP Service Net.

Chano

SLOweather

Premium Subscriber
The "Gap" Fire, eh? That got me to thinking (always a little risky). I wondered how "The Gap" stores feel about having a fire with their name on it, and that some suit was probably going to sue the LPNF for copyright infringement.

Then it hit me... CDF/NF etc should be selling naming rights on big fires. Everything else' naming rights are for sale. Instead of the Basin Complex, it could be the Kohler Wash Basin Complex. Think of the exposure Home Depot or Lowes could be getting on one of the big fires that burns a lot of homes. And, like other product placement, as in NASCAR, the newsreaders would have to mention the sponsor again.

"The Home Depot fire destroyed 35 homes today, and 200 more are threatened. The news was brought to by Home Depot. When your lot cools off, and it's time to rebuild, "You can do it. We can help." Home Depot..."

I would love to pick up an Incident Action Plan from each fire in California right now. No doubt there would be some interesting information on the Comm plan portion of them. So many new frequencies popping up!.

Today is the first day I heard the Monterey command frequencies being used at the Basin Complex. I also saw in the news that national guard has comm post up. Any one have frequencies for national guard?

cousinkix1953

"Hopefully, someone can park their scanner on search during this latest large fire and report back the findings. That is the only way we are going to figure out if any new frequencies have been assigned for incident use. Access to official information has all but dried up due to homeland security concerns."

Prior to 1981 the frequencies used by agencies like the FBI and DEA were public information. Now we have to search around the federal bands and find them ourselves. No big deal for me; becaus I stumbled into some of the SLA investigations in 1974 way up the VHF band, from here police activity is common. I found the DEA's UHF systems by trick programming the old BEARCAT 250 below 420 mhz.

Look for the National Guard in the main federal bands. They might also be found next to the 2 meter ham band where the Monterey Presidio and Naval Post Graduate School are active. There is scattered military and guard activity below 50 mhz; but many of those are ranges for artillery practive and shipboard gun crews, rather than fire fighters.

I dunno if those SW links between the 50 states' guard units are active any more...

karldotcom

40710977.jpg

An air tanker drops fire retardant close to homes along a West Camino Cielo Road community in Goleta on Friday afternoon LA Times

MCIAD

That is a great pic! While it looks like the tanker is dropping right in the house's front yard (it may be!), the front yard is a nearly vertical mountain side to the coastal plain that Goleta sits on. There are quite a few homes like this one that sit "on the edge" as it were. The view of the coast and Pacific from up here is phenomenal.

The DC-10 was also in the mix - adding to the same line along Camino Cielo. I am looking to some of my buddies up there to see if anybody got some pics.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
That is one of those pictures where the focal length of the lens can create a very interesting perspective. The number on that air tanker is memorable. I was on a couple of fires where "00" made drops.

There have been cases where air tankers have dropped directly on houses in order to save them where the homeowners have then filed a claim with the Forest Service for the repainting of the home.

The best story I ever heard about a claim was from the fire prevention technician (FPT) at the Pacific Valley station on the Monterey Ranger District on the Los Padres. He was my crew strike team leader when I was on the Happy Camp Complex during the "Siege of 1987" fires. Seems he was driving through a subdivision in San Bernardino during the Panorama fire of 1980 near Devore. He saw a wooden fence on fire where the fence eventually ran under the car port of the house. He backed his patrol rig up in the driveway and extinguished the fire on the fence. Almost a year later he gets a call from an administrative type to ask him if he was the person driving a patrol rig that backed up in the driveway of this house. The homeowner filed a claim for his mailbox, which apparently the FPT, in his haste to protect the structure, backed over. Talk about unappreciative! I would have told the homeowner, forget it, next time we will let your house burn down! But I'm sure the admin. type did not do this.

Last edited:
That is one of those pictures where the focal length of the lens can create a very interesting perspective. The number on that air tanker is memorable. I was on a couple of fires where "00" made drops.

There have been cases where air tankers have dropped directly on houses in order to save them where the homeowners have then filed a claim with the Forest Service for the repainting of the home.

The best story I ever heard about a claim was from the fire prevention technician (FPT) at the Pacific Valley station on the Monterey Ranger District on the Los Padres. He was my crew strike team leader when I was on the Happy Camp Complex during the "Siege of 1987" fires. Seems he was driving through a subdivision in San Bernardino during the Panorama fire of 1980 near Devore. He saw a wooden fence on fire where the fence eventually ran under the car port of the house. He backed his patrol rig up in the driveway and extinguished the fire on the fence. Almost a year later he gets a call from an administrative type to ask him if he was the person driving a patrol rig that backed up in the driveway of this house. The homeowner filed a claim for his mailbox, which apparently the FPT, in his haste to protect the structure, backed over. Talk about unappreciative! I would have told the homeowner, forget it, next time we will let your house burn down! But I'm sure the admin. type did not do this.

Ha Good stroy!

That's one of the Aero Union tankers.

SCPD

QRT
The Panorama Fire of 1980 generated a lot of stories, much above average for a large fire. I was on it also. I was living/working in New Mexico at the time and we had received 8" of snow the morning we left for the Panorama, which was the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving. When we reached southern California cold Santa Ana winds were blowing very hard. We were unlucky to pull night shift on most of the fire and froze out butts off. We didn't leave the fire until December 10th.

We had Thanksgiving dinner in camp, cooked very nicely by the inmates from a CDF facility at Norco. The governor of California, Jerry Brown, joined us for that dinner. There were 3800 people in fire camp, a record to that point. A baker in Devore volunteered to bake cake for the entire camp. I heard him talking with the food unit leader in the morning about it and the food unit leader, a CDF captain, said "I don't think you realize how many people we have in this camp." The baker didn't miss a beat and replied "I don't think you realize what kind of a baker I am." There was enough cake in camp that night for an all-you-can-eat dessert!

Near the end of the fire two guys in suits walked through camp and shook the hands of each person there and said "the community of Devore would like to thank you for your efforts." It still brings me chills as I write this. Those guys must have had sore hands after shaking over 3000 hands.

Lurpus

GAP Fire Frequencies

Lots of traffic on these today:

168.350 Tactical?
168.200 SBFD Tactical
154.265 Painted Cave Volunteer FD
154.415 Ventura Co. Engines
155.160 Search and rescue... handling the evacuation notices. Nothing this morning but lots of activity last night.

Our local news is a joke. KEYT should be ashamed of the way they are handling this fire. I knew of the evacuations 3 hours before they annnounced it as "Breaking News" at the end of their 11:30PM broadcast. Why don't these stations get one nerd with a $50 scanner to keep them on top of what's happening? Idiots!

So much for my rant... hope these help!

syvmom

Keyt

I know...they wouldn't even break into their soaps to cover the press conference....they broadcast it on their other channel, RTN I believe it was called, whatever that is. Well, not everyone has cable. If that channel is on Directv, maybe someone here can let me know where, in case I need local news in the future.

I think we get better local news from KSBY in San Luis.

karldotcom

40719760.jpg

Schwarzenegger noted that 41 different states have supplied firefighters and equipment in California’s hour of need. He praised such cooperative efforts—as well as those between the state, federal, and local firefighting agencies now battling the Gap Fire—observing that different agencies often have different agendas, which don’t always mesh. “It is not sometimes easy,” he said. He contrasted the harmonious inter-agency cooperation now taking place with the Gap Fire to what happened with Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana. “It’s unlike what happened with Katrina where nothing happened and everything went wrong,” he said. “Here, everything goes right.”

There are some good stories in the Santa Barbara Independent...they have also been sending out "TWITTERS" on evacation areas

Last edited:

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
GAP Fire

My wife and I ventured down to Goleta today to see if we could get some pictures. Unfortunately for us, the terrain of the fire is such that getting close enough to properly photograph an air drop would mean entering the hard closure evacuation areas, and that ain't gonna happen. On the way out the door we heard the DC-10 getting ordered, but I'm not sure if it canceled before we got there, or had already done it's thing.

The smoke in Goleta was manageable. Although being in San Luis Obispo (about halfway between Basin and Gap), I might be getting used to it.

On the radio geek end, here's what I confirmed:

Command:
USFS LPF Forest Net. 170.550 (169.900). Various hilltops in use. I dedicated one radio to the input and one to the output. Lots of comm issues with Basin Complex traffic conflicts. Main repeaters in use were Tepesquet and La Cumbre. Also heard some traffic on Sisar, but that was when they broke another veg fire at Lake Casitas (Ojai).

NIFC Command 2: 168.100 - This was repeated, never could find the input.

415.325 (PL 110.9) was active with Forest Net traffic. Not sure if that's a permanent link or was up just for the fire.

Tacticals:
NIFC Tac 1: 168.050 - Division A
NIFC Tac 2: 168.200 - Not Division A (couldn't tell how many total divisions they had)
OES White 2: 154.265 - Various fire crew traffic
OES White 3: 154.295 - Various fire crew traffic
CDF Tac 13: 151.475 - Various fire crew traffic
Fed Common 1: 168.350 - Various fire crew traffic

Logistics:
Logistics 2 (Output - Direct): 415.400 - Fire camp?

Aircraft:
Victor: 122.225 - Air Attack to other air units
Air to Ground: 169.0875 - Very clear, not an image, confirmed NFM. This one is new to me.
Air Guard: 168.625

Unknown:
Heard carrier and PL (151.4) on 166.100. No idea what this is.

Like I said, the pictures weren't that great, but here's a few.

OES Fire command unit, top of a SatCom unit (OES Oasis?), and two fire pics.

Attachments

• OESFire.JPG
    OESFire.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 309
  • SatTruck.JPG
    SatTruck.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG