• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New subscriber, first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerEric

Hello, I thought that the "tavern" would be a good place to introduce my self.
I am in the Chicago area. Lots of radio to scan here; digital, analog, shortwave, trunked systems and more. I bought a PRO-97 a little more than a year ago and in just the last few days have discovered how the trunking functions work. Seems the only agencies here that utilize those are police narcotics, surveilence and special ops. Will be asking more about that later. Thanks to this website, the "Win97.exe" software and a cable from
R.S. I am really getting the most out of my scanner now. One of my favorite uses for it is monitoring the local traffic helicoptors for real time traffic info. I got those frequencies using "Signal Stalker" mode whe I saw one overhead, awesome. My other favorite use is listening to a local (not so local actually, they are a county away) ham repeater. They broadcast an astronomy net report on thursdays. I am joining them so that I can use my telescope and that I can get observing reports and go no/go signals for planned observing sessions. Really nice that two interests can coincide like that.

car2back

Youcame to the right place ScannerEric; let me say welcome! I started out here at Radioreference almost 2 years ago and have elarned all kinds of things from the helpful people here. Be sure to stop by your regional forum if you ver have any localized questions. Happy scanning!

CLTX11

Welcome to the board. There is ALOT of info here, take some time and explore the site. If you already havent, take a look at the Database for your area and the WIKI also has tons of helpful info as well.

red8

Welcome Aboard Scannereric From the Bayouland of one of the most
politcally corrupt states in the union Louisiana . Where according to the late Huey Long "Everything is Free, But it has a Price". Seriously
this is the best site to get information on scanning and the RR Tavern is a good site to talk things other than scanning. And on the other threads too

ScannerEric

Well, I will tell you this: I have already availed myself of the database herein through a wonderful scanner utilty called Win97. Each bank is dedicated to specific areas of interest and entertainment value as well as a "knowledge is power" pertainence. Chicago outlying suburbs, chicago tactical trunking system, Illinois State patrol-Chicago district, Dupage county at large, federal agencies, chicago police dispatch by district and of course my favorites for quick scanning to and from work. I could never have done that by hand, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.