New talkgroup for William & Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttleje

The James City County/Williamsburg/York System has set up a new talk group (1209). As I write this post, I am listening to the radio techs program and test radios on talkgroup 1206. So far, they have programmed radios 69500 through 69539 (40 radios). Since these radio numbers are in the same sequence as the W&M Police Department (69xxx), I am assuming that this new talkgoup, and related radios, are for William & Mary. As soon as the system goes active, I will report its use.

tuttleje

The radio techs programmed approximately 60 additional radios today (Saturday). That makes a total of 100 radios programmed in the last several days within the 69xxx series. Other than the Williams & Mary Police radios, I have not seen any of the new 69xxx series radios in use. The radios are being tested on talkgroup 1209. I inadvertently reported they were being tested on 1206 in my last post. Talkgroup 1206 is used by the W&M Campus Police.

Last edited:

tuttleje

Talkgroups 1209, 1216, and 1225 are now active. They are used by various W&M administrative personnel. As soon as I figure out who is using which talk group, I'll post the information. As previously reported, talkgroup 1206 is W&M Police.

dtscho

Database Admin
Are you close enough to hear the old 800 MHz analog W&M system? Is it still being used? It looks like they might be transitioning to the regional digital system.

Thanks,
Dave

tuttleje

The old system is still active (has a control channel).....for now. I think moving everthing to the new digital system is exactly what they are doing. It will be interesting when the sports program starts up to see if they use the new radios.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
W&M college

1209 = IT Dept. Based on listening for about 30 mins today. Talking about installing internet routers.....

dtscho

Database Admin
Just curious--have you guys heard any "random" encryption on the W&M talkgroups? I hope they don't turn out like some of the other talkgroups on the system.

I was visiting Gloucester County yesterday, and was able to pick up the system from the far northern reaches of the county (and I may have also heard it in Middlesex). I didn't hear any of the W&M talkgroups, however--probably not surprising for a Sunday in the summer.

Dave

tuttleje

Dispatch (radio 69901), Unit 103 (radio 69103), and Unit 112 (radio 69112) are encrypted on the Campus Police talkground (1206). So far, none of the other units are encrypted. It appears that each officer/employee has a specific handheld assigned to him/her. Since all the students have not returned to school, the Campus Police are fairly quiet. On Monday through Friday, IT (1209), Parking Service (1221), and 1225 (not fully identified) are very active. Hopefully, Campus Police will get rid of the encryption. There are a total of 196 radios programmed for William & Mary in the 69xxx series.

Last edited:

tuttleje

In regards to my previous post about encryption on the W&M Campus Police talkgroup (1206), almost all of the traffic is now encrypted. The number of Police radio using encryption has gradually increased over the last few days to where almost all the Campus Police radios are now encrypted.

Last edited:

tuttleje

In regards to the "old" Motorola system for William & Mary, I have heard no activity on the system. Apparently, W&M has completely transitioned to the Williamsburg/James City/York digital system. Although the old system is still on the air, there has been no activity.

tuttleje

Sorry, I must correct my previous post about a completed transition. After listening to the old system all day, I just heard Catering Services. Evidently, Catering Services has not moved over to the new system...yet.

tuttleje

Talkgroup 1228 is "Student Life". This talkgroup is very active with the arrival of new students on Campus. They are coordinating the activities of the orientation advisors (OA's).

tuttleje

Talkgroup 1230 is "University Events". Right now there are student coordinating the delivery of hotdogs and buns for functions at the various dorms.

Status
Not open for further replies.