New Tech here

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hello @KJ7rTV and Welcome to Radio Reference! Also, congratulations on the new license for Amateur Radio! You have entered a new hobby that is sure to bring lots of enjoyment and new ventures.

As for a new radio, try to stay away from the "cheap Chinese junk" as many call the $25 to $50 handheld transceivers (HTs). Stick to name brands like Alinco, Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu. Yaesu makes a nice entry level HT for about $70.

You might want to tell us what your interests are and why you wanted to get into ham radio. Also, have you checked out any local ham clubs in your area? That is a great way to find out what your local friends are doing.

73, Dave K4EET

wowologist

Certifiable
Well welcome to the hobby! And the infamous question..well that's kinda like asking Brigham Young which wife he liked...they all have ther advantages and disadvantages and as you will soon learn...ther own (insert ST Kirk fight song audio) fanboys!

Here's the most important answer though...don't walk into a retail shop and say "I'm a new ham what do you suggest" ...a wallet biopsy is sure to follow!

danesgs

KJ7RTV, Congrats on the ticket and welcome to HAM radio! What are you looking to do radio-wise? Base station at home? mobile from the car, Handheld HT? First look at what your interests may be. If you have a local club in your area a number of those folks may have a spare radio lying around to get you on the air to chit-chat. If you are looking to buy something, browse the HRO, Universal Radio and other websites catalogs to look at the features and prices then when you see something you think you might like go to Eham.net and look for it it in the reviews and see what other HAMs think of it. Research and read before you spend your hard earned money.

KJ4DGE

K4EET

Chaplain
Hello @KJ7rTV and the Yaesu FT3DR is definitely a nice radio. I have that one for Yaesu System Fusion and the Kenwood TH-D74 for D-STAR. Both of those radios were given to me as a gift. Let me know if you have any questions on your Yaesu FT3DR. Perhaps we will bump into each other one day using the Yaesu System Fusion / WIRES-X digital mode. 73, Dave K4EET

RockyBennett

Newby
Thanks Went with Yaesu Went big got the FT3DR

I own an FT3DR. It is a very nice radio but it is complex and it takes a little learning. The manual is a little abstruse, so Google will definitely be your friend on some of the features. Also, this forum always has answers to different questions that arise while your learning that new radio.

n5xii

New tech here from Eastern Washington state. Now on radio hunt
Welcome from Texas. I started out with a Heathkit HW101. (I wish I still had it) Tube type HF SSB rig. Made some good contacts with it. One all the way from Texas to South Africa.(10 meters at the height of sunspot activity in 1992.) The newer rigs are easier to use, and maybe you aren't ready for HF yet. But it is a great incentive to learn cw.

I am currently running an old General Electric Phoenix SX 16 channel VHF. I used one as a police officer back in 1984, and at the time thought it was the best radio I ever used. I picked up one a few months ago for $35.00 on EBAY. A fellow ham re-programmed the eprom to my local repeaters. I get a good 45 watts out, and have hit repeaters a good 50 miles away.

A lot of law enforcement agencies are liquidating their older VHF radios in favor of digital rigs that are not as easily monitored. These radios can be had for a song. Make sure that you (or someone you know) can program your intended purchase, before you buy.

K9DWB

QRT
Welcome to the world of amateur radio and of being broke. I too am a recent licensee and started out with the same Yaesu FT3D. It's a great radio as long as the HT limitations are not interfering with pursuing the radio hobby.

Congrats and we'll likely bump into one another again on the forum.
Signed, Another Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.