New Tech licensee

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DWB

QRT
I took my Technician license test last month with a radio club in my region. I took the test Monday evening and the call sign showed on Wednesday morning, 1.5 day turnover is fine with me. First order of business for the licensee was to do an administration change to add the Question and Answer to access my license account. Second was to list an email that was spelled correctly. delta.water.brovo.1994 wasn't going anywhere. Still not done, I had to request a vanity call. The sequential D class KC3PRU seemed to be a mouthful, so I searched ULS to see if there was something I liked. I just used the ULS online request for vanity submitted with a big list of 2. I couldn't find many vacant calls. Business day 13, yesterday, choice 1 was accepted partly due to that this call was vacant since 2017. Henceforth I am K9DWB.

Then the real fun began. Ham Radio Outlet sent me this FT3D with a few antennas and the RT Systems program software. I'll quickly be getting into better remote antennas as I happen to be about 5 miles too far away to get the repeaters. I can hear several, but none hear me yet.

Next month? An antenna "kit" and likely getting General then as well. And surprise I used to be an evil CBer while driving 18 wheelers for 11 years.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
And surprise I used to be an evil CBer while driving 18 wheelers for 11 years.

Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of ham radio! Where the fun begins and the spending never ends!

I feel your pain - 17yrs w/Crete Carrier. Corp out of Lincoln, NE. Now I drive a mean Winnebago Via at 40mph in the left hand lane chewin on my Firestik har-har

Lots of help here for the askin, and lots of very knowledgeable folks. Have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

K9DWB

QRT
I hear ya and appreciate it. My former primary doc told me in 2010 to stay out of trucks as it was destroying my back. I hung it all up in '14 with back issues after trying my hand at a desk job and now SSDI disabled at 51. So I plan on hamming to spend some of the free time I've been given. Most days due to pain, I just go about being less than sedentary. I mean, hamming isn't a job. :coffee:

K9DWB

QRT
Thanks for the welcome. I had to have one when checking in to most warehouses. So I figured I might as well have fun with it. The parts from CB that don't carry over like mods, aren't coming with me to ham. My last 2 radios were a Stryker whatever the model wit SSB was just before the digital meter and a Galaxy 98VHP.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya and appreciate it. My former primary doc told me in 2010 to stay out of trucks as it was destroying my back. I hung it all up in '14 with back issues after trying my hand at a desk job and now SSDI disabled at 51. So I plan on hamming to spend some of the free time I've been given. Most days due to pain, I just go about being less than sedentary. I mean, hamming isn't a job. :coffee:

Yes K9DWB, Hamming and Scanning are excellent hobbies for the disabled. I have a severe bone disease in my lower spine and vertebrae which keeps me from being active the last couple years. Along with radios, I enjoy playing and creating music as a hobby although I have to sit nowadays to play my guitars. My office is a combo Radio Shack and Music Lab. You will enjoy your new Ticket and radio and Welcome to the Radio World.

K4EET

Chaplain
Congratulations @K9DWB on everything; new license, new callsign (1st choice) and new HT. I have the Yaesu FT3DR as well and you are going to really like it. Great rig. A little pricey but if you need those features and can afford it, then it's the right choice. I'll keep watch for your callsign when I'm in the WIRES-X mode. 73, Dave K4EET

K9DWB

QRT
I like what I'm seeing over at Ham Study. You might want to give it a look. Best to ya when you take it.

I've mock tested for my General and passed all 3. Still I have lots of practice time with General coming up next month as it looks. I didn't have the greatest of margins like I did with the Tech at 3 wrong. Then again, passing is passing.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
Congrats on passing the test and welcome to the wonderful world of ham radio. I drove for USA Trucks for a bit till I got fed up with being treated like my mother-in-law treated me. Found other jobs closer to home until I blew my back out and I also am on disability and take care of my wife with numerous chronic issues. So I still spend a lot of time running up and down the road
Nutcase on the side 10-4

K9DWB

QRT
I too drove USA Truck for a few months, mmm I think it was 1-6/2005 did my orientation in the Dayton, OH terminal although I live in Greencastle, PA. Twas a great day I checked in with the dispatcher to tell him my last load was about done on the live unload. I told him I was about to head to the little terminal here in PA. I forgot where the terminal was, but I think it was near Allentown but to the south a few miles. Dispatcher asked if I'd stop to get a load from near where I was unloading, no sorry I can't.

K9DWB

QRT
I figured 2 months was enough on Technician. Now, I will hang out on General till some time next year I think. I've got to decide on what new radio to add. I'm liking lots of the specs on the Yaesu FT-891 or something very similar, but I'll wait a bit to save up funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.