New Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

leofsiege

Okay, so my foot is in the door. I passed my Technician test today. Now to look for a radio. I have recently been looking at the WouXun KG-UV9D. One of the guys at the local club told me that for $180 I should get a Yaesu FT-60. I am looking for as much radio as I can get for as little price as possible. They told me that the Yaesu is a solid product, and WouXun isn't. I am looking for popular opinion. One of the things I like about the KG-UV9D is being able to listen to 2 bands at the same time. I have seen many good reviews, but you know that everything on the Internet is true, ha ha. The guys in the club told me I could also get my feet wet with a $35 Baofeng (throw away model). I am not sure how to proceed, please help. I am looking forward to a lot of opinions. Thank you all in advance

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I have been a Technician since August and currently have a BaoFeng BF-F8+ 2nd Gen UV-5R Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio and a Wouxun KG-UVD1P. I love the Wouxun and would not trade it for four of the Baofengs, it is built solidly and works great. I plan on buying a mobile unit soon and will probably get a Yaesu then. 73s to you.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you held a FT-60 in one hand and any of these Chinese radios in the other your question would be answered. I used a FT-60 for many years. They are very solid, dependable, well made, commercial grade radios.

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
The Wouxun KG-UVD1P is a sturdy radio not like the Baofeng UV-5R. I have used the Wouxun for several years to monitor railroad traffic when I go railfanning it is better than a scanner for that purpose.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
More important than the radio: the antenna you use. Don't skimp there, particularly on base or mobile. Every QSO will be a better experience with a good antenna. In fact, if you save money by carefully selecting the "better" of the CCR radios.... spend the difference and put the time into a reliable, well-installed antenna. As for handheld portable antennas (e.g. rubber ducks) they are all simply rubber attenuators when it comes to comparison with a good vehicle mounted mobile antenna, or mast mounted base antenna outdoors. Fine for onsite comms during Field Day or other events, but don't waste your time trying to find the "best" rubber duck. No such animal. Use them only when they are the last resort.

FKimble

Another recomendation for the Ft-60R. $150 at HRO and most other big online HAM stores. Even free shipping at some. And the warranty is real. Try getting a warranty repair on a Cheap Chinese Radio. And you can easily program it by hand. No Computer needed. I recently put in 100 freqs in mem/chan slots on one for my brother-in-law in half an hour. Try that with the cheap radios. And welcome to the hobby.

jj394

Premium Subscriber
baofeng vs yaesu ft60

I have both baofeng f5uv and yaesu ft60 the yaesu out performed baofeng will worth the xtra money i havint use my baofeng since i got my yaesu i will never by them cheap radios i hear many people say the same as me about cheap china radios

cessna_172

Speaking of Wouxun. It's slightly possible their quality has increased somewhat in the past couple years BUT, I doubt it. My dealings with them in recent years really have shown otherwise, a poor quality product. The big issue I have had with Wouxun is intermod. They have very loose front ends and if anyone as much as breaths in the room I swear those things will start receiving the noise. I don't know about the newer models such as the UV9. They may have been improved but I'll never give Wouxun another dime of my money. These are just my preferences based on my experience with them. I'd suggest you'd be much better off with the Yaesu in terms of quality and durability. One option to look at if you are wanting to spend less is the Anytone radios. I have had very good luck with those but I do not know if they currently have anything on the market with dual receive like you are wanting. For a cheaper alternative to Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom; I have had very good luck with them and they seem like pretty solid little radios. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Another vote on the ft60. Very nice radio for the money. Much better built than these cheap Chinese radios. Also depending on your interest and your area you may want to look into dmr radios. Connect Systems makes some nice ones for the price. Dmr is real popular in my area but it may not be in yours.

Jimbiram

I've had two Wouxun KGUV3 radios for several years now and they have been bulletproof. I also have the Anytone Termn8r which was taken off the market as well as a Yaesu FT-1. While the Yaesu will do more stuff including APRS, my "go to" radios are still the Wouxun. I'm not saying the FT-60 isn't a great radio, but don't be afraid of the Wouxun. Spend some time at your local ham club or an hour at the local ham radio store to try them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sporrt

I bought an FT-60 2 years ago, it's solid.

I just bought an Alinco DJ-500t last week, and really liking it. The DJ-500 is going for $100. No problems with manual programming. Very straight-forward.

rorytek

The other problem with the cheap radios is their signal is not pure, look at the big 3 or even the Alinco's. Main Trading Co. has some good pricing.

N6OIL
Rory

reedeb

I just purchased a Baofeng UV5R duel band. al programmed [no need for computer] I get great reception and I have tried many repeaters in the Dallas Fort Worth region. Fort Worth I can receive but not transmit but that is with rubber ducky. Everything is loud and clear and I am told I get out great with it as well. I am happy with my new toy
My old HT is a Radio Shack HTX 202 2 mtr I love it still but after 20 yrs of service it is getting long in the tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.