New to all of this... a few suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redchord11

Hello all,

Seems like a great community here. I'm really new to all of this stuff and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I live in NYC- pretty busy and tons of air traffic. I have an Alinco DJ X10K a few years ago and when I came across it again it freezes at the startup (besides the point). I'm looking for a new scanner - moderately priced. Is it worth it for me to go for a wideband scanner- Alinco makes the DJX3 - but I feel it will be the same as the X10 with less option and no buttons... Someone recommended that I go with a scanner (non wideband) that does Trunking. He mentioned a GRE PSR-500 as well as a Bearcat 396T. He also said it should be digital as well and these models are around $500. Is this really necessary to start off with? I saw the GRE PSR- 300 which was significantly cheaper. I just don't want to get something that's a bit over my head with unnecessary features costing more.

I'm open to all suggestions and putting my purchase in your hands. Thank you all in advance.

-Steve

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
First, welcome to the site.

Next, take a look at the database for your specific area. You mentioned "air traffic" but I was not clear if you meant aircraft or RF traffic over the air. :confused:

In any case, digital is growing, and based on what you might want to listen to now or may become interested in the future, you have to weigh the needs verses the budget. Take a look through the RR Wiki especially going over the reviews. Also scan through the different radio forums here as well as the NY and maybe the NJ forums to get a general background of what is what.

Remember, it is your money and you need to make the decision. :)

redchord11

Hey, thanks for the welcome. I meant that theres no shortage of RF traffic here. I will definitely be looking at reviews and the other resources, but I was also looking for some personal experiences with these models I mentioned and just some recommendations. Thanks for reading.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
You know, sometimes I forget things...last fall I actually put together a Wiki article on just this topic. :confused:

Slide back over to the Wiki and take a look at the scanner decisions article. :wink:

subclavius

The NY regional forum would be a good place to ask the question, they can tell you about how much is digital there. In a city as big as NYC I would image there's enough analog transmissions to keep you busy, but generally speaking, it seems like almost everything is going digital, especially the public safety bands.

I would consider a digital scanner an investment for the future but if you're primarily interested in a certain band, like air, just go with what some of the more knowledgeable listeners in that particular area can tell you about it.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Just right for New York City...

Steve,

Moderately priced? Check.

Not too many features, but has what you need for this area (especially PL / DPL decode)? Check.

Trunktracking, for the city's DoITT systems, the Port Authority of NY & NJ's EDACS system, and the state's Metro 21 system (and, if your bored enough, the MTA NYC Bus system)? Check.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...r=1&origkw=PRO-97&kw=pro-97&parentPage=family

If you wait for a sale, you might get one even cheaper...

SCANdal

Last edited:

redchord11

thanks for the input guys. I've been looking through all the helpful resources on this site.

I saw that Radioshack model- but I figured for that price I can just get the PSR-300. That's about the price range I'm looking at. It appears that if you go digital you're talking a few hundred bux more. I just wanted to make sure that I'll be able to hear stuff on analog and not have to buy a digital unit within a year or so.

Assuming I went for a Digital model - what more would I really be able to hear?

hoser147

If you go with analog that is a chance you take, right now alot of agencies are going to digital. If I were in your situation, I would try and go with a digital model and then you wont have to worry about if they go to digital in a while. You will be able to monitor both analog and digital transmissions. If you keep an eye out on the for sale forums you can probably pick up a good digital from another member. Good Luck and Good Scannin Hoser

mjthomas59

A digital pro-96(handheld) or pro-2096(base/mobile) can be had for $300 if you have the patience to wait a day or two for a good auction on ebay. I've bought 3 from ebay so far and got one for 250, and that was almost a year ago, and long before the GRE scanners hit the market.

Even new, the pro-96 and 2096 go on sale at RS for 350.

I'd hold out and get a digital. If money is a concern i'd for the Radioshack digital models.

New York has been talking about implementing a statewide apco-25 (digital) system for quite some time and NYC is more than likely the first area that would get online. It could be years or it could be months before this happens, either way it WILL happen. Go digital and thank yourself later!

SCANdal

Silent Key

New York will not be implementing a statewide APCO P25 system. They will be implementing a M/ACom OpenSky system, which - at present - no consumer grade scanner can monitor. While there will be a VHF APCO P25 element to the system, it will be in the Adirondack area, well away from New York City. Also, be aware that system rollout is already underway - not in New York City - but in the Erie County area.

Don't forget our context here. We are talking New York City; digital isn't coming anytime soon for any of the major players, aside from some of the federal agencies (which, of course, is a nationwide migration). Even with regard to the city's implementation of it's new UHF trunked system...while the database here shows that it will be using the digital mode, my understanding is that it may be mixed mode.

Lastly, the OP did mention that he's looking for a starter scanner. While I can not argue that saving for a digital capable scanner (that could also come with the complexity of dynamic banks, etc., etc., depending on model selected) is a wise investment, I am reminded as I write this of the old saying...there's a difference between Mrs. Right and Miss Right Now.

SCANdal

Last edited:

redchord11

Well, after browsing the forums and reading the helpful responses- I've decided that I will go in over my head and go digital. It's my nature to have to have the newest and the latest gadgetry available! I just have to read up a bit more between the PSR 500 or the BC396T. Although, I am currently leaning towards the PSR 500.

I thank all of you for your input and directing me towards the proper resources.

redchord11

Sweet! As I was minutes away from ordering my PSR 500 - I decided wtf - let me check ebay again as mjThomas mentioned.

Well, I came across a Brand NIB Pro 96 Never used with a few extras for $375. SOLD! I'm thinking this was the right choice since it will be my first scanner and maybe later in the year I can tackle the higher end models from GRE and Uniden. Very excited though!

Nasby

The PRO-96 is an excellent scanner. You will enjoy it. Congratulations!!

Sully64

Hi, i also purchased a nib pro 96 scanner from ebay($380). I have to say the scanner is great. Still has a lot of features that i haven't attempted yet. Still learning, but easier with forum research and win 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.