• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to all of this digital stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama923

I am trying to find a radio that is capable of receiving both digital and analog signals. I also need it to transmit analog. I have been looking at the TYT DM-UVF10 and the Retevis RT2 DPMR VHF/UHF Digital/Analog 5W. I am not sure if these will do what I am wanting. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
First question would be what are you trying to do? For amateur radio or other? License service or other?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
"Digital". DSTAR,DMR,P25,NXDN,Fusion,IDAS,....all "digital". Which one?

Most all of the digital rigs will also do analog.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find a radio that is capable of receiving both digital and analog signals. I also need it to transmit analog. I have been looking at the TYT DM-UVF10 and the Retevis RT2 DPMR VHF/UHF Digital/Analog 5W. I am not sure if these will do what I am wanting. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you located? There is no dPMR here in North America, so you can scratch that off the list if you are here...

bama923

I am trying to find a portable/handheld radio that can receive and transmit on UHF analog frequencies. I work for a fire department that the neighboring departments that we assist are on UHF. But one department has gone digital on a VHF frequency. I am guessing they are P25. That frequency will just be monitored. Is there one radio that will do that?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You'll pretty well have to know for sure which digital format is being used before you can select a radio. You may be able to find the neighboring department's info here on this forum. Just 'drill down' in the database section until you find them: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

If it is P25, the radios you listed won't work. DPMR and P25 are two completely different formats.

bama923

Thanks for the link. It is P25. Is there a radio that can do what I am wanting?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link. It is P25. Is there a radio that can do what I am wanting?

Does your department have a license for the frequency, or do you have permission to use a radio on some another department's license?

There are very few radios that are dual-band P25. The Motorola APX series has a couple portable models, and I believe Tait has one portable model.

Sent via Tapatalk

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
As FedFyrGuy points out, Dual band P25 capable radios are far and few between and they're expensive.

Since you only want to monitor the neighboring department's digital channel, the most cost effective route would be to pick up an analog only UHF transceiver for your department, and a hand held (receive only) scanner to listen to the P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.