New to Amateur Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

Ok but when there is severe weather occurring would I be able to report on them repeaters

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Yes, it's structured reporting and we call these nets. The nets give you practice with the comm protocol and equipment config. The second repeater you listed has the net on Tuesday night at 9:00 PM, give it a listen.

Getting to know some of the club members will make this a lot easier for you.

RBMTS

I’ll say “maybe”. During severe weather events they might only want reports from their own teams or from trained weather spotters. During these weather times they don’t have time or desire to have chit chat or speculation reports.

Search for the ARES group(s) for Lee County. These groups are always looking for volunteers. They can then get you the training you’d need.

RBMTS

EMA departments are usually open to new volunteers.

This looks like the largest amateur radio group for Lee County.

I wasn't able to pull anything on any ARES group. I always seem to get routed back to the LCARC info. So they might be acting as the ARES for the county.

ltginrage

they might only want reports from their own teams or from trained weather spotters
I have taken the SKYWARN class by the NWS.

EMA departments are usually open to new volunteers.
I will reach out to them

This looks like the largest amateur radio group for Lee County.

I wasn't able to pull anything on any ARES group. I always seem to get routed back to the LCARC info. So they might be acting as the ARES for the county.
LECARC is low on members I will also reach out to them to see if they can give me some more information

WB9YBM

"could someone recommend a Handheld or base stations (W/antenna) radio. I would like to use it on both UHF and VHF."

It depends a lot one: 1.) what range do you need? (outside antenna versus one on the radio); 2.) what options do you want on the radio? 3.) what's your budget? (etc.)

ltginrage

To answer your question 1) 3-5 miles 2)VHF/UHF 3) 0-$100 (Budget will change later)

N8FNR

Hi, I've been scanning and listening to local repeaters for a few years and I'm looking to test for the technican license, could someone recomend a Handheld or base stations (W/antenna) radio. I would like to use it on both UHF and VHF.

Thank you

I would highly suggest that you get a radio that is FM/DMR or FM/D-star. These radios let you get into repeaters in other states or countries and you can also talk in reflectors that are like chat rooms. You can also get hotspots that get you into repeaters and reflectors by going through the internet. You can buy a very good Anytone DMR radio for about $160 and they are built very rugged. AnyTone AT-D868UV w/GPS & Programming Cable. FREE SHIPPING, Access to our AnyTone Course on BridgeCom University ($97 value)

A very good external antenna is the Comet GP-1 for $70: Comet GP1 Vertical Antenna

I would stay away from the Arrow J pole antennas as you need to waterproof them yourself. http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html
The Comet comes waterproofed.

Digital voice is the future.

If you are interested you can see if there are any D-star repeaters near you

And DMR repeaters;

Zack N8FNR

Last edited:

ltginrage

Ok, so are Baofeng outright illegal to be bought in the US? If not, would a Baofeng be a good emergency transmit only radio (e.g. Put in a emergency pack) or to use as a repeater scanner?

P.S. Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
...or to use as a repeater scanner?

If you're receiving, makes no difference.

The UV-5R I'm looking at now doesn't say anything about an FCC certification, although some reviews say it does and some say it does not. So if I buy one and not sell it would be ok?

At the end of the day, amateur radios are not required to be type accepted. They simply have the meet the emissions requirements in Part 97, specifically Subpart D. The FCC certification you hear about regarding the Baofengs is Part 90 certification. People were using these things en masse on the business band frequencies

That said, if you're looking to get into amateur radio and just want to see if you're interested, this radio will do okay for using normal FM repeaters. However, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a better radio. You're going to be much happier in the long run.

nd5y

The UV-5R I'm looking at now doesn't say anything about an FCC certification,
When you buy stuff from Amazon or "fulfilled by Amazon" resellers you don't know what you are getting.
Notice how they don't show pictures of the back of the radio where the labels are.
There is no way to tell if those are Part 90 (PLMR), Part 15 (amateur/scanning receiver) or not certified at all.
Amazon doesn't care and the FCC and Customs will probably never do anything if Amazon is selling illegal radios.

ltginrage

Ok, So lets say I raise my price range up to under $200. Would that be better? If so, what could that get me?

Status
Not open for further replies.