New To Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs989

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I just discovered this site which is great. I just moved here from Milwaukee and am new to Minnesota's ARMER system. I live in Coon Rapids so I would need to get a new digital scanner to recieve the Anoka County system. I am still considering getting a Whistler or Uniden scanner and have been researching both models. Since I don't have one yet I don't know if my reception will be ok or the problems some users are experiencing. I can't wait to get one so I am going to get one soon. Before I left Milwaukee, I monitored the Milwaukee County Sheriff which was on a analog Motorola system. The city of Milwaukee uses an Opensky system which can't be monitored with any scanner out there which did not bother me as I lived in a suburb that was on the MCSO system.

I may have some stupid questions so please bear with me. Reading this forum has valuable information from people who know the system well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm a Minneapolis native and often return to visit friends and family. Over the years I've monitored the ARMER system with Uniden scanners. My current models are the 436/536 and I am very happy with the ARMER reception on them. (The previous models were a little more "touchy" with simulcast which Anoka County is.)

The ARMER system is a very robust system. Unfortunately that means it will be challenging to program. You'll have a couple of learning curves: one is the programming/operation of a new scanner, the other understanding the "ins and outs" of this system.

There is enough knowledge here to help you as needed.

I haven't tried Whistler scanners so I can't comment on how well they work.

If you end up going the Uniden route, I'd recommend either the x36 line or the Home Patrol line, rather than the 996P2 or 325P2. The 996/325 have some limitations on memory which are "unfriendly" to a large system such as you have in the metro area. They could be made to work, but it will take greater programming effort than with the x36/Home Patrol.

blue5011

I use BCD996XT's (three plus one BCD396XT) and **Freescan** to control/ program them.

Have seen/ talked to folks who have Home Patrol's and Whistler/ Radio Shack scanners... I would not buy one. Just my opinion.

rs989

Premium Subscriber
That's good info. I am a premium member so I can have the database improrted to Freescan or whatever. This is great, will save time on programming and it will have the correct stuff from the RR database.

Now I wish the sauna could be turned off here, but it's good weather to stay inside keep cool and looking at new scanners. I do like the Uniden stuff, but the Whistler does NXDN which there is a system I want to listen to that uses NXDN. I live literally 3 miles away from the Fridley BNSF rail yard and have read that they are or are already using some NXDN stuff.

mnrick

Welcome to MN. Once you get your scanner set up you'll find (or I have) that Anoka County is one of the easier systems in the metro to quickly catch on to as far as their unit ID's and communications.

A lot of areas, Dakota County, Hennepin, Carver... Use number ID's which are hard to memorize but Anoka uses names, King cars are Coon Rapids, David is Blaine, Mary is Fridley, Heights is in the Heights and so on. You'll hear 3 Heights 11 and that means its a 3rd shift Heights car assigned to patrol. The Detectives and so on usually have numbers up in the 60's like 1 King 64 would be a Coon Rapids Detective.

It a fun system to listen to, a lot of activity and you should be able to catch on pretty quick.

I live in Scott County (used to live in Hennepin). I have a Pro652 scanner. Where I am at now I can get Scott and Carver really good (they are on the same system) and I also get Dakota loud and clear. I have some issues with Hennepin, myself and others think its a simulcast issue.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

TrackChatter

Longtime Minnesotan here who just bought a Whistler WS1040 (also have a Uniden BC125AT) and I'm attempting to get up to speed on how to use the WS1040 effectively and efficiently. So far it's been a challenge and I'm in the dark about more than I can say.

I'll be browsing this thread as well as Whistler threads for input.

Anyway, just extending a friendly 'Hi out there' to users in my surrounding area.

Status
Not open for further replies.