• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng New to Baofeng

Status
Not open for further replies.

DealerWhite4

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and new to Baofeng radios. I have the UV-82 and would love to know if I can select or designate a priority channel. I know the radio designates the first channel it receives traffic on as priority, but I am hoping this is a stock setting, and there is a way to choose. Obvious reason being, I don't want the radio switching to the other frequency simply because it took a second to formulate the response or, the other channel happened to squawk before my party answered. Thank you in advance for answering my rookie question.

nd5y

Baofengs don't have any type of priority. All you can do is try changing the dual receive settings in menus 7 and 34.

DealerWhite4

What do you recommend? Like I said, I am new to this; muscle memory will set in, once I know what right looks like and get settled. Again, appreciate the help

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The 82 is an entry level radio. If you want to scan, get a true scanner as most HTs scan very slowly. If you want a radio that will give you flexibility and features, take a look at the btech 6x2. Is is sometimes identified as a Baofeng but https://www.miklor.comCOM/Review_DMR6X2.php has the details. Anytone also has a look alike with different firmware and features.

DealerWhite4

I am an entry level user, and will be using this as a radio, and not a scanner. The dual net feature is intriguing to be able to monitor an emergency channel, or keep one group on channel A and the other Channel B; I was hoping to be able to set which channel I want to prioritize and take over, no matter what is going on. It does not sound like that is possible though.

nd5y

What do you recommend?
What exactly are you using the radio for? What are you trying to do or avoid doing?
The radio doesn't have priority.
It has two PTT switches and two display lines.
It will transmit on whichever channel is displayed on the top or bottom display depending on which PTT you press and how you have Menu 34 TDR-AB set.

DealerWhite4

What exactly are you using the radio for? What are you trying to do or avoid doing?
The radio doesn't have priority.
It has two PTT switches and two display lines.
It will transmit on whichever channel is displayed on the top or bottom display depending on which PTT you press and how you have Menu 34 TDR-AB set.
Probably not its grand intended use LOL; What I want to do, is probably something that only a very expensive radio will do. Ideally, I want to be able to run two channels, I am prior Military so bear with me, for example I want to run a "Command Net" that I can monitor and an operational net that 90% of my traffic occurs on. I want to do this at times when groups of us are camping and moving about in groups but want to stay in touch; terrain has been a huge interference with "normal" common radios.

What I was hoping for, was to run a radio that I could set as the "Master" channel and no matter what, if that channel had traffic, it would be that one that the radio defaulted to. As I understand, there is no way to do that; I know that I have dual PTT to choose what channel I respond on. but no definitive way to keep the radio on that channel if the B begins to receive traffic; in other word, in the middle of a conversation, the radio would begin monitoring the other channel when it becomes active and I would no longer hear from the original person I began talking to.

I know there are settings to prevent this, but those settings stop the radio from scanning both freqs. If I understand it correctly. Again, I am new to this, and I apologize for the lack of vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.