• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to cps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, i recently came across a copy of cps for my ht1250 and i have some questions. It seems that i have figured out the basics. What i dont understand is the quik call and mdc stuff. How does it work? And whatis it for? How could it be utilized in a small ambulance service? My other question is pertaining to emergency mode, how do i program the radio so that when the emergency button is deppresed all of the other radios will display the identifier and sound an alert tone????

Luis_R

Quick call is used for decoding pages. You can program the type of alert you want and the tones you want to be used to open up the radio upon Rxing those tones. Not gonna ramble on go here - MDC1200 - The RadioReference Wiki
Should get all your answers there.

bezking

Quick Call II Tones are what cause Minitor pagers to activate.
MDC-1200 is a signaling format. When used correctly, a radio user will be able to see who is transmitting on the radio's display, amongst other things as outlined in the wiki article above.

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys... what is the difference between sel cal and alert ... what is an mdc message??

bezking

Sel Call = Communication that only the other party will hear.
Call Alert = Causes the other party's radio to play a tone, vibrate, etc.
MDC Message (basically same as MDC Status) = Short, preprogrammed TXT message such as "IN SVC," "AT STATION," "AT LUNCH," etc. I don't believe the 1250 is capable of MDC message.

Last edited:

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
many thanks.... that was what i was looking for.... now for the programming of the emergency button???

bezking

MDC1200 offers the Emergency feature, which transmits a data burst signifying there is an emergency. This is typically programmed to the orange button on the top of the radio. A short press would start the emergency transmission, and a long press should turn it off. A dispatcher, with a compatible console or radio, will see that there is an emergency and will see the ID of the radio that transmitted it. They will then "acknowledge" it, and the radio will show that the dispatcher saw it and the radio will stop transmitting the MDC signal. Optionally, a loud tone can be emitted by the sending radio as well and the radio can also automatically start transmitting audio for a certain number of seconds.

Note that some radios are able to see the ID of the emergency, but the 1250 can not. A dispatch console or different radio would be required.

Another interesting feature is Stun, where a dispatcher with a compatible radio can remotely disable a lost or stolen radio so it can not be used to interfere with the system.

Last edited:

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
once again thanks.... so i guess the thought of having other radios in my system emit a loud beep or tone then showing the identifier is out of the question... i didn't see the stun feature in my cps??

bezking

It's kinda weird. Stun Receive is enabled automatically when Sel Call/Call Alert is enabled. To TX a stun to actually kill a radio, you need either a different radio or a dispatch console.

Luis_R

once again thanks.... so i guess the thought of having other radios in my system emit a loud beep or tone then showing the identifier is out of the question... i didn't see the stun feature in my cps??

No, not really. Use MDC and PTT id in a pre or post burst fashion in conjunction with emergency. Will give you what you're looking for. As long as the radios are able to encode PTT id. As far as stun feature your radio may not have that feature available, may be a model specific feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.