new to DE scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvox302

hi, im new to the digital scanning in lower DE, ive been using CBs and handhelds for years. what is the least expensive scanner i can use to listen to police traffic in kent/sussex and maybe DAFB?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Find yourself an used BCD396T (handheld) or BCD996T (base/mobile) - both will do the job, has milair coverage (unlike the Pro 96/2096) and has extensive software support - even freeware, plus online help guides and FAQs (much of which is linked in our wiki, incidentally). The digital audio recovery is better on the Uniden XT and GRE models, though - if I were starting new, it would be something to consider. I use the 396 when traveling up to visit my family in NJ.

I don't know if the much older BC296 (handheld)/796 (base) would work on the Delaware system very well - I'll let Delaware scannists comment on that. Both of these have a lot of support as well. Do NOT get the BC250/785 - these will not support rebanding, which last I heard, Delaware will need to undergo at some point. 73 Mike

mandlair

Hi,alvox302 the uniden 296 works fine and its base counterpart also_Or the pro 96 or its base version.I have had all of them or used friends and they all do a good job on the Delaware system.For me and my area the GRE scanners seems to work better on digital.Although I havent tried the new unidens i.e. 396xt or the base version?They are supposed to work well also.I sold my 396t because of the digital decode in my area! Presently I have the GRE500 and the r/s pro197 and of course my trusty pro96 the work horse goes everywhere with me.Hope this helps Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The only problem with the 96 or the 2096 is that it doesn't cover milair - the OP said that he might like to hear DAFB. That would be an issue....73 Mike

alvox302

well from what i understand about the systems, DSP (and local PD, for that matter) radio talk can only be heard with a digital scanner, correct? thats my main problem, i want a scanner that will be able to hear those, as well as fire/ems. and as far as DAFB, it would just be a slight interest so that doesnt have to be a deciding factor

mandlair

Okay then my original post,holds true then.The scanners I listed will and do cover your needs and can be gotten relatively inexpensive.The older one I listed.I hope this helps.Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.