• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to digital scanning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xline8

I am looking to buy my first digital scanner and am looking for some feedback. Right now I am evaluating a friend's RadioShack Pro-96. The digital system I am listening to is Delaware County, OH. The signal from my house is somewhat choppy. I am assuming this is a function of my location and not the Pro-96.

What is the feedback of the Pro-96? Are the Uniden digital models better?

Any recomendations on how to improve the signal (different antenna, etc)?

Thanks!

daleduke17

Have you tried moving the radio around to different parts of the house you are in, or to different areas to see if it is just at your house that it is choppy?

How close to you is the closest tower? I get choppy reception when I start leaving Bloomington (IL) because of the distance from Watterson Towers (where one digital tower is) and Congerville.

You might try a Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna, that MIGHT help, I don't know. Some of the other members might be able to chime in some more helpful information.

xline8

Thanks daleduke17,

I have tried throughout my house and outside. I am about 10 miles from the closest tower. Not knowing much about digital, I am guessing this is too far away. I will try that antenna... In the mean time I am open to any additional ideas.

Thanks again!

hoser147

Does the Pro 96 have a 800mhz antenna on it or just the antenna that came with the scanner? The Pro 96 is a great scanner and when on sale the price is very hard to beat. For Programing Win 96 cant be beat for the Pro 96. If the Money is not a factor Uniden has some very nice scanners that are digital also. From what you are saying it could be a number of factors.....................hoser147

rpowley

xline8 said:
Thanks daleduke17,

I have tried throughout my house and outside. I am about 10 miles from the closest tower. Not knowing much about digital, I am guessing this is too far away. I will try that antenna... In the mean time I am open to any additional ideas.

Thanks again!
You should be able to pick up your system 10 miles away, unless you have some terrain or obstruction issues. Try the 800mhz antenna - I use them on 2 of my portables and they do a good job. If you are still having reception issues, even an inexpensive outdoor antenna can make a huge difference either on your roof or in your attic.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
As another member said, buy an 800 MHz antenna. Radioshack sells a wonderful antenna that is specifically designed for 800 MHz reception, and it works great. :)

daleduke17

KCChiefs9690 said:
As another member said, buy an 800 MHz antenna. Radioshack sells a wonderful antenna that is specifically designed for 800 MHz reception, and it works great. :)

How much does that improve reception on 800Mhz? If it does a great job, then, I might have to go get one myself to monitor Starcom.

xline8

Thanks for the great input everyone. I will try the 800 antenna and will leave word. Thanks again!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It is one of the cheapest improvements you can make. It works great !!! I did a side by side test with the stock 97 antenna, and the CC% went from 50ish to 95-98%

RISC777

daleduke17 said:
How much does that improve reception on 800Mhz? If it does a great job, then, I might have to go get one myself to monitor Starcom.

The R Shack $16.99 antenna is worth it. I've clipped it to my visor right up under the body metal in my vehicle and it still picks up well (just a slight example of how well it can do). Another example is some state digital towers north of me about 70 miles I can get from inside the vehicle with that ant. Though, as always, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.