New to Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenicks

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I am new to digital scanning and need some advice. I have a RS Pro-96 but really want to get a Uniden BCD396XT. My question is, has anyone had their scanner programmed by ScannerMaster, and does it give you the frequencies you need. I live in Maricopa County AZ. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

captclint

Mentor
Hi all. I am new to digital scanning and need some advice. I have a RS Pro-96 but really want to get a Uniden BCD396XT. My question is, has anyone had their scanner programmed by ScannerMaster, and does it give you the frequencies you need. I live in Maricopa County AZ. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to RR. I've heard Scanmaster does a fairly good job by using this site. However, you can do this yourself by getting FreeSCAN It's free, and it gives you the ability to pick and chose what you want to download from this site here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=100. This download automatically sets up any trunking systems and talk groups, saving you a lot of frustration and typing. If scan master does it, you may find you want to make changes and additions anyway, so have control in the beginning also helps you to understand all the features of your scanner better.

Last edited:

brusso99

buy the radio from scannermaster.. i would learn how to program it yourself.. i will be happy to help you once you have the radio..

Brett

jclarkr6

Buy the radio from scannermaster.. i would learn how to program it yourself.

Brusso99 offered good advice on this issue. I would program the scanner yourself because I have talked to a few people who had Scannermaster program their scanners and Scannermaster incorrectly programmed several things (Scannermaster did get a lot of frequencies and systems right, but there were also several that were wrong). Plus, programming your scanner yourself will allow you to become more familiar with your scanner. I would recommend buying your scanner from Scannermaster. My last two scanners came from Scannermaster and I was very pleased with their service. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new scanner! :cool:

rvictor

Taking nothing away from Scannermaster's programming, but the programming of a scanner is, for most people, a work in progress. You'll find that you want to add something or delete something that you didn't think about when you had it programmed.

You'll need to learn how to do it yourself to get full enjoyment out of the scanner. You may as well learn now. The available software, together with a premium subscription to RR, makes it pretty straightforward once you get the scanner talking to your computer. If you have problems, there are people here who will help, even to the point of sharing datafiles if they are in your area. If you use a common program like FreeScan, ProScan, or ARC-XT, and have a problem, you can upload your datafile and people here will look it over and help you get it straightened out if need be.

Sure, there's a learning curve with any of today's highly capable scanners, but even if you've had it programmed, you are still going to have to deal with that curve just to learn to operate it properly. Personally, I found that programming with the appropriate software was easier than learning the operation of the scanner.

Dick

phoenicks

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the advice. I have ordered the scanner from Scanner master, and have decided to try to proram it myself. I can generaly figure things out pretty quick. Hey, I learned how to use this computer.!! Once again, thanks for the advice. Nick

Astrak

Purchase SWFD10 Scannerstuff Arizona - Southwest Frequency Directory it contains more info than what is in the DB and some that is not in the DB. The mix of both is a great way to program your scanner to make sure you are hearing almost everything that is on the large simulcast systems in the Phoenix metro area.

Learn how to program it yourself, as things change frequently around these parts.

phoenicks

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to update my thread. I recieved the BCD396Xt the other day. Thought I would be able to use the supplied serial cord, but don't have a 9 pin port on my computer. Had to call Scannermaster back and order the USB cable. When I got the scanner, I was able to program a few frequenqies in by hand, but once I got the download cable, and read the software directions about a dozen times, I was able to program it from the computer. By the way, using the ARC-XT software. This thing is like peeling an onion. Layer after layer of things you can do with this scanner.One think I like is the colors you can program to different frequencies. Just a side note, I have had a scanner and have been listening to them since 1973, First one was an RCA 10 channel you had to by crystals for. Thanks guys, back to my new toy!! Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.