New To digtial

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnwaldw

I am planning on getting a new 600 soon and have heard how hard they are to program my last scanner was a radioshack pro 34 which you just enter the freq I havent scanned in a long time but want to get back into know that the kids are gone and its just the wife and me.
Thanks
Dave

turnwaldw

I live next to one county that is and one that isnt but they are working on changing things over so I figured just to get the better scanner so in the futre I will have it.
Thanks
Dave

JLM7424

u new to digital!

Dave
I just got the psr-600 i do have a uniden 996 so i have some exp in the digital trunked scanners however i dont think the gre scanners are that hard to use with a good explanation.

So it is a virtual scanner in a sense ,I really suggest buying the arc500 software
from www.butel.nl its like $40 ,,with your subscription to Radioreference.com
you can use that software to download complete systems from radioref and then upload to the scanner

So what happens is you load up the 500 or 600 like it has 20 banks but they are called "scanlist " with either talkgroup ids for trunked systems or conventional freqs
each tsys will support 1800 objects IE>frequencies/talkgroup ids and so on
when its full thats it for that one now the scanner has 20 virtual storage files for each radio system you create so you created a setup you store it as a backup and name it then
you can create a new one and so on then if you want to go back to the say first one you created you reload it in 3 buttons and less then 20 seconds

thats the best i can describe it i hope that kinda helped /Matt.

Ps...where you from ?

Last edited:

raisindot

turnwaldw said:
I am planning on getting a new 600 soon and have heard how hard they are to program my last scanner was a radioshack pro 34 which you just enter the freq I havent scanned in a long time but want to get back into know that the kids are gone and its just the wife and me.
Thanks
Dave

As a new PSR500 owner, I would agree that, compared to scanners in the past, the PSR's have a steep learning curve if you want to learn how to program them manually.

Fortunately, there are three excellent software packages that make programming it incredibly easy--Win500, Arc500, and PSREdit. You can't go wrong with any one of these--it's simply a matter of which interface you prefer (and you can try all three for 30 days before you buy). You simply enter the frequencies as either conventional frequencies (i.e., non-trunking, including digital) or trunking frequencies (digital or analog), assign them to specific "scan lists" (think of them as "banks" with a lot more flexibility), and then use the supplied USB cable to download the whole thing to the scanner. You can also upload from the scanner to the software to make backups.

I don't have a lot of digital systems in my area, either, but the PSR500 is so gosh-darned cool that I couldn't resist it.

Suzie

JimEck

Spectrum Sweeper

I like using the spectrum sweeper when I'm in a new area ... but how do I turn it off. The only way I turn it off now is to delete it in my software then upload the changes ?

turnwaldw

Recieved my new radio yesterday and its great it took my a bit but I got listening shortly after playing around abit (typical Male Dont read the manual) as the wife said. Things sure have changed since my old Pro 34 was made now I just have to get a good outdoor Ant thanks for all the help.
Dave

Patch42

raisindot said:
As a new PSR500 owner, I would agree that, compared to scanners in the past, the PSR's have a steep learning curve if you want to learn how to program them manually.
Maybe it's because I've had training in object oriented design, but I don't understand the people complaining about the PSRs having a steep learning curve. Or maybe it's because I'm not coming to this from another scanner that had some other solution to the trunking issue.

The PSR500 seems to me to have an easily understood approach. The only thing I found a bit confusing was initializing a TSYS by entering the first TGRP for it. I'd have taken a more top-down approach and started right with the TSYS, then started adding TGRPs to it. Other than that, the whole thing strikes me as very flexible and well organized. But that's just me.

Brian7M3

Premium Subscriber
Patch42 said:
Maybe it's because I've had training in object oriented design, but I don't understand the people complaining about the PSRs having a steep learning curve. Or maybe it's because I'm not coming to this from another scanner that had some other solution to the trunking issue.

The PSR500 seems to me to have an easily understood approach. The only thing I found a bit confusing was initializing a TSYS by entering the first TGRP for it. I'd have taken a more top-down approach and started right with the TSYS, then started adding TGRPs to it. Other than that, the whole thing strikes me as very flexible and well organized. But that's just me.

I agree with you. It's very straight forward. It's just easier to type all those frequencies and move things around with the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.