• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

new to forums--question about cb antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

99chevy1500

hi guys im new to the forums. i bought my first cb and plan to put it in my truck. the cb is a uniden pc68xl. i bought it brand new. now my question is how do you run 2 antennas? is there some kind of coupler that allows you to hook to antennas up to the cb? sorry if its a dumb question ive just never hooked one up before and i want to run 2 antennas mounted on my truck bed. thanks guys.

2beers4me

hi guys im new to the forums. i bought my first cb and plan to put it in my truck. the cb is a uniden pc68xl. i bought it brand new. now my question is how do you run 2 antennas? is there some kind of coupler that allows you to hook to antennas up to the cb? sorry if its a dumb question ive just never hooked one up before and i want to run 2 antennas mounted on my truck bed. thanks guys.

So you want to run dual trucker style whips? You have to get the right coax for the dual whip setup. It's called a co-phasing harness. The pl259 connector that plugs into the radio will have both of the feedlines terminating into the pl259. I would do a bit more research on that setup of running the two antennas that close together. I have always heard that they will not perform good too close like that. On a semi mirror setup the antennas are further apart so it is not much of an issue. Look around on the web there is a minimum distance the antennas need to be apart, and I know it is wider than your truck bed. Good luck.

whiskeytango

any problem with the roof? when u use the tool box you dont have much of a ground plane...where the antenna rests on a flat surface. the roof is higher and has more surface area for the antenna to be effective. i just got a lil wil, from wilson, works great

99chevy1500

i just always liked the look of it mounted on the back of the bed or on the toolbox. its not something ill use everyday so if i dont have the best signal its not goin to bother me much. it will still work fine if i mount it to the box wont it?

rmosier

Whiskytango is correct. You won't benefit from a co-phased antenna system unless they are at least 8 feet apart. I'm assuming you are installing this on a pickup truck (because of the tool box you mentioned). The ground plane is as (if not more) important as the antenna you use. On a pickup, a little back from the center of the roof is the best position. I've tried every type of antenna there is, and I agree again with WT. Wilson is the best there is. I have a Wilson 1000 attached to a Galaxy DX 979 CB and I've reached Nova Scotia from Morris County NJ using side band. The "Little Wil" is also an excellent antenna. Just make sure you check your SWR. Especialy if you will be using an amp.

Good luck

99chevy1500

ok well im not real up on these radio terms but ill check out the wilson u guys are talkin about. What do u guys think of the Uniden lc68xl CB?

whiskeytango

get the magnet mount, roof mount implies u drill a hole in ur roof. and yea itll work great on the roof. google standing wave ratio, then yuoll know how to adjust it once u get ur ant

99chevy1500

ok will do. and if i go with the 1000 could i mount that on the bed or on the toolbox or would i defeat the purpose?

99chevy1500

im thinkin about just getting this one and mounting it on my tool box. i just like the look of it alot better and really dont need to have super signal i wont use the cb very offen. i just got a deal off a friend for this cb and dont feel like payin as much for an antenna as i did for the cb. i appreiciate all of you guys help on this tho!!
let me know wat you guys think of this one? do u think i could reach 7 miles with it? cause my buddy with a cb lives about 7 miles away from me and that pretty much all ill use it for it to talk to him.

Wilson FGT-4B Black 4' Fiberglass CB Antenna - eBay (item 370186543490 end time Feb-05-10 10:37:22 PST)

stilaR8dr

Premium Subscriber
Tool box

Tool box... Is it steel, or aluminum?
Depending on how high and far from the cab-
Depending on how well the tool box is grounded to the chassis "ground" of the truck. The more physical grounding area that is capable the better the chance of the tool box becoming part of the ground plane of the truck. -
Depends on what you want out of it.
Depending on if the people that you are talking too is.... oh, lets say in front of you and you are following them and just as they crossed the yellow light and traveled a few hundred yards more before they realize that your not behind them and you can hear them but they cant hear you doesn't bother you.

The highest and most center of the vehicle. The better for well balanced omni directional signals.

I loved my 8' "Francis" fiberglass (blue) wip mounted on the rear passenger side... Just above and slightly forward the wheel well, of my 1978 FJ-40 Landcruiser.
It won a lot of bets ($) out performing lots of "center mounted, whip like" antennas. If I was next to someone and we both were talking to the same station....
Then sorry "Wilson" people. My "Directional" abilities that I had versus the nice all around well balanced "Omni Directional set up. Did me well. Using the same radio.
Used to STOMP!

See, it all depends..

99chevy1500

ok ill prolly just go with the lil wil then. is there any tuning that i have to do after i get my antenna mounted and cb installed? and my tool box is aluminum and the only thing that holds it to the truck bed is too hooks that go under the bed lip and clamp it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.