New to HAM Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

heynow23

I am new to it all! Just got my UV5R to get started and learn the basics. I don't have a license, but I am studying for it. I have also attached the bigger antennae (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC4PWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I am in central Florida, right outside of Orlando. I have only been able to pick up NOAA only. I have programmed all available police/fire/anything on the channel mode to cycle through for scan, and still nothing. Which could be bc they aren't really up and running on those frequencies and are a backup nowadays. I also plugged in the local repeater nearby and nothing there ever either. I am new to this so i am curious if i am doing something wrong, especially on the repeater. It's ON AIR. But i never pick up anything from the repeater. Any advice on the repeater option?

Couple notes, I have done this inside an office with a window so of course there could be interference from buildings etc. But i have also brough it in my car and still nothing. Any help to get more than NOAA on the radio would be great.

heynow23

And just to add a couple more things/questions. I will not be talking on the repeater until the license is acquired. But, do i need to set the offset to get the repeater? And while we are on this subject, if i am not talking, what's the point of the repeater? My basic understanding is that it will help elongate my reception to nearby areas? Still learning over here.

heynow23

in the time that this post has been awaiting approval, i have officially received a repeater message. yay. what a coincidence. read the repeater sign and followed up with morse. what's the morse code for?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You do not need to program inputs if you are only listening. Later when you get your license you will need them.
Repeaters extend the range of mobile and handheld radios. In Florida they will likely be on towers or taller buildings due to the flat terrain.
Orange County Florida uses 700/800 MHz digital trunked and encrypted systems. Fire is not encrypted but is digital. Your Baofeng cannot receive those frequencies and cannot receive digital transmissions at all. A higher end scanner is needed and nothing will receive encrypted transmissions.

My suggestion is to get in contact with a local ham radio club for information on exams and help with programming repeaters.

Hope you get your license soon and best wishes.

nd5y

Sometimes using a better antenna can overload the receiver an kill reception. See if you pick up more NOAA wx stations with the stock antenna.

You don't need an offset, input frequency or CTCSS/DCS tones to receive a repeater.

k6cpo

My suggestion is to get in contact with a local ham radio club for information on exams and help with programming repeaters.

Hope you get your license soon and best wishes.

This is an excellent suggestion as Orlando hosts the second largest hamfest in the country (second only to Dayton) every February.

Status
Not open for further replies.