New to HF and SWL -- PC ALE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch40n1k

Hi all,
I'm brand new to SWL ... just happened across a Grundig G5 sw receiver. Where is the best place to get started on decoding digital modes, beacons, sats etc?

I've looked at PC ALE, but apparently I need to be a member of the yahoo group, which I've been waiting two days for approval for.

Any help would be awesome ... maybe a link or two?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Like the Good Book says, Seek and ye shall find...(anything in blue and/or underlined is a link)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/ALE

Unfortunately PC-ALE doesn't work on Vista, and it seems questionable whether the author is going to update the software.

I suppose the stronger stations, ones that aren't subject to much interference, would work using a G5. Personally speaking, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. But for getting into digital modes, a desktop rx (such as the R75, or a used ham transceiver, most modern ones have very good general coverage rx built in) is going to work far and away better.

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah looks like it's gone - looks like Charles' website got deleted (he posted a message on this). This is going to affect his versions of PC-HFDL as well. Hopefully he'll let everyone know if he decides to bring it back somewhere else.

In the meantime, I'd check the HFLink Yahoo group (or the HFLink website as given in the article) for the latest versions of PC-ALE, and the HFDL Yahoo group will, I will wager, house the latest versions of PC-HFDL (a.k.a HF ACARS) decoders.

You can edit in the wiki, too (hint hint) 73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.