New to hobby looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new to the hobby but im looking for some advice on a decent model to purchase to put in my car or use in home. possibly a unit i could take out and use in home at times/ use in car when driving. I live in Orange, Ma in franklin county just outside of worscester and hampshire.

I would like to add that i am looking to scan local and state pd, fire, and ems. Weather and air traffic would be nice to but not necessary.

The Uniden BCT15x has caught my eye and i want to know what others think of that specific scanner for my needs?

Last edited:
Im new to the hobby but im looking for some advice on a decent model to purchase to put in my car or use in home. possibly a unit i could take out and use in home at times/ use in car when driving. I live in Orange, Ma in franklin county just outside of worscester and hampshire.

heres link that will help you. - View and Compare Your Scanner Options

You are going to want a portable scanner. Looks you will have plenty choose from. Best place to ask question also is in the Massachusetts forum.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi Charly - it's been a long time since I lived in Mass. (20+years or so, in fact), but I think I can give you some pointers...

First off, a word about notation - anything in blue is a link of one kind or another. Let's start off with some basics - up at the top right, under the ad for Scanner Master in a blue toolbar, float your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki Home. There's a section in the resulting page called 'Links for Newcomers'. Read the Scanning 101 and Scanning Q&A articles, and keep the Glossary bookmarked. It's a handy resource to definitions for terms you are likely to encounter both here and other scanning websites (more on that in a moment)

This is our database entry for Franklin County...don't be concerned if you don't understand everything on this page. Floating your mouse over an unfamiliar column header will usually bring up a basic explanation of the terminology...

Franklin County, Massachusetts (MA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It appears that the 15X would be a good choice; however the Mass. State Police does have some digital talkgroups (not many). There are 2 better places to ask about scanners for Franklin County - our Mass. forum, and this well known website which specializes in the New England region...

Scan New England - Scan New England - NEWS

It too has an extensive wiki for all of New England. Take your time and explore a little - make yourself known on both the forum and Scan New England. Between the 2, you will, I'm sure, have little difficulty in making the right purchase

73 and welcome...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.