New to listening

WWHAMPTON

I have started listening to Winston-Salem police dispatcher on an app called police scanner plus that I got from the Apple store. It was pretty interesting and I just wondered how it compares to listening with a scanner and it is part of the reason. I’m interesting in getting a scanner. Anyway I’m a complete newbie at this, and any advice for beginners, is much appreciated, especially as it pertains to the area around Winston Salem and parts to the west of there in North Carolina.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Nothing beats using your own scanner. You have control over what you program & you're not at a feed provider's mercy to stop their scanner so you & other listeners can hear during a major incident. With your own scanner you can listen to as many or as few things within listening range to you as you wish

WWHAMPTON

Yeah, exactly I actually find myself very much attracted to the technology would allow me to prep my own course so to speak

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Nothing beats using your own scanner. You have control over what you program & you're not at a feed provider's mercy to stop their scanner so you & other listeners can hear during a major incident. With your own scanner you can listen to as many or as few things within listening range to you as you wish
This all day. I started the same way. The issue, you could only hear one dept at a time. I started with a Uniden 996, but quickly switched over to a SDS200 due to simulcast. A learning curve, but a fun one with the help of these guys. In other words, do your homework before you buy. Listening on that app, is way different than the scanner. Good luck, and have fun. It can get a tad addictive.
Edit. As mentioned, program what you want to hear from the PD, FD or maybe a local company.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Be sure to only get sds 100 hand held or sds200 for simulcast the others want do it

WWHAMPTON

Interesting that it seems that listening on the app is way different.
I also think it's very interesting that a lot of what I'm hearing not just here but in other places is its probably best just to go with the hardware that is top rated now to avoid various problems ( dealing with simulcast and having the ability to add various add-ons that may not be available for a lesser older units).