New to Marine Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBrox

Hearing my local CG station making periodical announcements starting with (Pompay, Pompay, Pompay) then sometimes something else. Three repetitive words. What does that mean? Attention?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's it.....thank you. Is there any other same three word announcements I can be listening for?

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday imminent risk to human life or loss of vessel.
Pan-Pan Pan-Pan Pan-pan risk to navigation, urgent/non-life threatening message, etc.
Sécurité Sécurité Sécurité Safety announcement

hill

Premium Subscriber
These three words used for distress, urgency and safety are based on French words. Even thought at times you will hear them being pronounced wrong.

CG units mainly Sectors will do broadcast, as you described when they are uncertain about a possible case. It could be a boat is sinking or people are in the water. This also alerts other vessels in the area that maybe closer and able to rescue them with CG or other rescue services some distance away.

Last edited:

abr02

Premium Subscriber
Yes. A scanner will not receive the necessary frequencies, nor the USB mode of signal. You could use an online radio to listen, like KiwiSDR offers.
Thanks for your recommendation of KiwiSDR. I see you tune to different frequencies. Any suggestions freqs for listening to Marine broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.