New (to me) 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyc_tbird_sc

So...I finally bit the bullet and have picked up a Uniden 996T. Well, as soon as I get the money order off tomorrow morning, I will have bought it. Now....I've gotta start looking at software.

HDMechanic

Sorry to say the bc tool sucks. Whent to program my 996 with this program and lost half of my data. If you would like I can send you my files from my 996. PM me with your email adrees and I will send them to you.

LordJ

If you plan on taking advantage of hooking your 996 to your computer for recording/control then I would recommend Proscan, with ARC996 basic or pro in second place.

yyc_tbird_sc

Okay....I've been screwing around with Proscan and I've got many questions but the first one is:
I've created a system labelled CFD. Within it I have the sites CC (all 5 sites with both primary and alternate CC's). Now...I've got one group labelled "Fire Dispatch" and it includes all the TGID's that are also in the database. Can I just keep adding TGID's to this group, or should I separate it out like it has in the database?

Or....(now that I'm thinking) should I just use the TGID group to separate things like CPS, CFD, Airport, etc? and within these groups put the actual channel TGID

LordJ

In Ontario we have the Bell Fleetnet system. A Motorola vhf digital trunked system that Our Provincial Police, Ministry of Natural Resources Ministry of Health, and Ministry of Transportation all use as well as some corrections. I have it broken down like this. System Quick Key #1 (SQK1) carries all the OPP and MNR groups I want divided into different Groups based on use. Detachment ops, Tactical channels, regualr ops.. and so on. I usually have the Group Quick Keys (GQK) always on, but can shut the OPP/MNR off with one button. Same thing with the MOH having SQK#2 and the MTO SQK#3. So I can shut off or turn on an entire system quickly. Long-winded, but I wanted to try to make it clear.
You could do the same with the Calgary system. Create a system for the Police, one for the Fire and one for the EMS. Then groups based on districts and talkgroups...Basically make it so you can shut off the ems and fire quickly if you just want police or vice versa....HTH and have fun..

mark2117

I took the leap as well and ordered a 396 today, was deciding between the 500 or the 396 and thought I'll stick with a format I already understand. Now to find software compatible on a Mac, I have XP installed on here as well but it would just be easier to have something to work with OSX. Hoping there's not one of those damn serial cables in the box as there's no such ancient port on a laptop.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's practically no software I know of for the 396 on a Mac. Do the smart thing and use something that works on XP. I've been fooling around with FreeScan a bit - but the obvious champ is ARC396, and the most recent release of ProScan just added 396 support. And of course, BCTool. I haven't tried that one yet.

73 Mike

Last edited:

mark2117

Yeah, XP or not the Mac doesn't have a serial port so I guess I'm spending my weekend off hand bombing...yay... :(

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If by 'hand bombing' you mean 'programming by hand', not so. If you get a premium subscription, you can download data from the database into the editor for the scanner. Alterately someone can send you a UASD file for the area you're interested in - each of those 4 packages can import them as a data source.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/

73 Mike

HDMechanic

Mark2117
You can buy a USB to RS232 adaptor cable. Thats what I use to program my scanner on my laptop. I bought the cable from Memory Express and was very cheap.

yyc_tbird_sc

WooHoo!!! It's here....and after a few hours of goofing around I've got it to work! Now I've just gotta pickup a USB->Serial adapter and I'm in business to program via the computer rather than the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.