New to me Pro-2005 ( Edmonton )

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I was recently gifted a Pro-2005 with a Optoscan456 installed ( I think it is a standard serial connection on the back?). I was wondering what I should use it for listening to ? I am thinking I will program in the CYEG stuff for starters . I am thinking I will also put in the RCMP repeaters ( I have only tried A4 with 123.0 tone on a baofeng uv-5r with no luck) . I already cover the public safety EDACS system with my Pro-95.

Any other recommendations of what I should program in ? Also it has a tape out in the back and im thinking that I might be able to use that a discriminator tap and mess around with DSD+ a bit with it . If it is a standard serial connection I do have a usb adapter .

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Will the OptoScan456 allow you to use tones? Put in RCMP A2 Fort sask, A7 Strathcona County, A13 St. Albert, A15 Enoch which is a repeat of Stony Plain/Spruce Grove which are on B5. Leduc is on A5. Also put in STARS 422.625 and 463.5875 WEM Security.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a point here about using the tape out for a discriminator tap....

You won't be able to use that 'tape out' as a discriminator tap without a bit of rewiring. A discriminator tap is taken well before the audio stages, thus avoiding the inherent loss and distortion when you try to run any high speed data through the audio amp. A tape out is usually taken someplace in the audio chain, after the discriminator, and likely before the audio amp, as it's a fixed audio source, and doesn't change no matter how much you change the volume control.

The good news is that information is very abundant as to where to tap that scanner properly. In fact we have a copy of the original scandata FAQ produced by the late Bill Cheek (the godfather of scanner mods) in our wiki (blue text below is a link)

SCANDATA.FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I received the Bill Cheek book with the scanner as well and just read the discriminator part . Scanner won't connect to the pc and the display seemed to have died . At this point I am looking to see if there is any low cost desktop scanners that can be computer controlled and have pl tone ( decoding would be nice as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.