new-to-me Pro-92: no receive audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyU

I just got a used -92 to keep me busy during shelter in place (lost my -43 to keyboard death). Read the online manual (thanks, marksscanners.com!), reset and plugged in a few frequencies. All seemed fine. Plugged in headphones, listened some more, unplugged them and went to bed. This morning I turned on the '92 for something in the background and after a while I noticed nothing, not a single call on the ~20 channels I plugged in. Odd. I know things are slow now, but geez. Tuned to NOAA WX, always broadcasting, nothing. Turned the squelch to "min" and nothing! No static, no sound. Removed and reattached the rubber duck antenna, same. I do get beeps when pressing keys. Plugged in headphones, same behavior. Removed headphones, did the "reset" as described, no change.

Any idea what's up? Did I somehow get a dud or is there some "no audio" mode I don't know about? The eBay seller of course says "no returns".

Thanks,
Marty

CycleSycho

:) Might be a DUD, check the listing (fleabay) and see if they (fleabay) guarantee it (providing the description says 'used' in the description/definition). IF the description says 'used' and the guarantee is envoked, message the seller and insist a seller paid for return and refund is warranted. IF seller balks, open a case as SNAD (old definition = Significantly Not As Described, currently may be 'Not As Described'). You have to specify the EXACT reason your opening the case with (fleabay). If it does not work as expected and the definition is 'USED', that definition states it works as it should but may have some COSMETIC issues. Good luck with your issue! :)

hill

Premium Subscriber
Most likely some issue with thr jack in which you plugged the headphones into on the scsnner. Would try to plug the headphones back in a few times to see if releases the jack to pass audio back to speaker.

The PRO92 is around 20 years old. I had an early model when it first came out. The way the first ones tracked Motorola TRS by subaudio tones didn't work at all. Think this was corrected on the updated PRO92A.

MartyU

Most likely some issue with thr jack in which you plugged the headphones into on the scsnner. Would try to plug the headphones back in a few times to see if releases the jack to pass audio back to speaker.

The PRO92 is around 20 years old. I had an early model when it first came out. The way the first ones tracked Motorola TRS by subaudio tones didn't work at all. Think this was corrected on the updated PRO92A.
I thought it was from having the headphones plugged in, too, only I can hear key presses (and nothing else either) through the headphones. Guess I could try disassembling it and see if I can get the jack to release audio, assuming that's it. Thanks!

wtp

i used to put mine on a table and give it a tap.
a friend call it radio CPR.
the two boards have pins that connect them and this would give them a little better contact.
i tried to clean them, but could not clean the female side of them.
tap away, it can't hurt and is free.

MartyU

i used to put mine on a table and give it a tap.
a friend call it radio CPR.
the two boards have pins that connect them and this would give them a little better contact.
i tried to clean them, but could not clean the female side of them.
tap away, it can't hurt and is free.
Alright, thanks, I'll try that!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've found several potential issues with that model.

- The connection between the antenna connector and the PCB inside the scanner gets broken. It might look ok, you need to check it with an ohm meter. If broken, a new connection will need to be soldered.

- Heat/Cool. I've seen situations where the scanner is deaf when you turn it on (cold) and magically starts to hear after a while (heats up). I've also witnessed the opposite. Generally speaking I'd keep it in a cool area, don't let it get hot.

- Power. Are you powering it from batteries? This model takes 6, whereas newer models only require 4 (or other brands might require only 3). It's best to use an external power adapter.

- The design has multiple circuit boards that are interconnected. The connections tarnish. You'd need to practically disassemble the entire unit, "clean" all of the connectors with something like a pencil eraser, and re-assemble. This might solve this issue for a few months before it is needed again.

There's a lot of things I love about this model, but for most monitoring, it's now outdated.

MartyU

I've found several potential issues with that model.

- The connection between the antenna connector and the PCB inside the scanner gets broken. It might look ok, you need to check it with an ohm meter. If broken, a new connection will need to be soldered.

- Heat/Cool. I've seen situations where the scanner is deaf when you turn it on (cold) and magically starts to hear after a while (heats up). I've also witnessed the opposite. Generally speaking I'd keep it in a cool area, don't let it get hot.

- Power. Are you powering it from batteries? This model takes 6, whereas newer models only require 4 (or other brands might require only 3). It's best to use an external power adapter.

- The design has multiple circuit boards that are interconnected. The connections tarnish. You'd need to practically disassemble the entire unit, "clean" all of the connectors with something like a pencil eraser, and re-assemble. This might solve this issue for a few months before it is needed again.

There's a lot of things I love about this model, but for most monitoring, it's now outdated.
Good info, thanks for all the hints, really appreciate it!

MartyU

Ok, just to close this out, I contacted the eBay seller and they immediately refunded my money. So just some time lost learning to program a Pro-92. Thanks again, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.