New to me scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwatson452

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a BC245xl off local craigs list it is a cool scanner, i can not for the life of me figure out how to program 800mhz freq. i bought the extra software, a usb serial converter cable. One of the problems i am running in to is that i am running Vista it keeps faulting out. i am running out of ideas PLEASE HELP.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You likely have several problems here; let's start with the USB cable. There's been a number of threads that have addressed this issue in the Uniden forum, and I'd encourage you to look at those first, to avoid rehashing the same topic. For example (anything in blue or underlined is a link - even though the topic discusses a 246, the answers are the same)

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112754

Use the search tools to find all the posts regarding this topic. In general, getting the right drivers for Vista (sometimes these need to be installed- and run - as an administrator, not as an user), and being sure to assign an available COM port is going to get you going in the right direction. You didn't say what brand USB cable you got?

The best program for the 245 is Scan Control In their accessories area they sell USB cables as well. In addition this program has a copy/paste utility that works with the RadioReference databases - something most every other 245 compatible program simply doesn't do.

Be more specific about what system(s) you want to program. The 245 is not capable of digital trunking, so if the areas you are interested in are using that format, it won't work. Look in our database, and supply the URLs of those system(s) so others can see what you are trying to do.

Finally we have a Trunking FAQ for the 245 in our wiki. It's linked here;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/The_BC245_Trunking_FAQ

73 Mike

Last edited:

rwatson452

Premium Subscriber
I just found the wiki site. I am trying to listen st SPFD and SPPD, I live in Woodbury and should be able to hear them out here, right? I just downloaded Control Freq jr and that is seeming to work i just have to figure out how to use that. I talked to the "Radio Guy" at work and he said that they can be a bear to program without software, and the hex codes.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oh please - the 245 is VERY simple to program. He probably is thinking this is one of those Motorola handhelds. You never use any hex with this scanner.....

I'm assuming SPPD is St.Paul Police and SPFD is St.Paul fire? Someone here can answer your questions about hearing them where you are - but if not a better antenna is usually one of the better answers if you aren't. Our scanner antennas wiki is full of links to manufacturers - and a few homebrew designs, too.

73 Mike

unclebubba

The BC245XL may be a cool scanner, but if you plan on listening to St. Paul PD/FD, the only thing you'll be using it for is a paper weight. There are only 8 scanners manufactured that can monitor Minnesota's Digital Truked 800 Mhz system, and that isn't one of them.

More info here:
http://ecmscanning.tripod.com/armerfaq.html

Craig

rwatson452

Premium Subscriber
Well that all helps alot!!! I have exhausted my patience and it is going up for sale. I appreciate the quick response. The dude i bought it from was scanning Hopkins with it and he had a ton of freq in there. I downloaded the Scan control software and it kept crashing as well, i blame windows more than anything else. i am more of a Mac guy anyways. Thanks again.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here is the page that describes what to do with running Scan Control under Vista:

http://www.scannersoft.com/windows_vista.htm

If memory serves, the demo is functional on only 3 banks. You will need, whatever scanner you decide to get, to straighten out the USB issues before anything is going to work for you.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.