New (to me) SDS200 - Two Questions

K0MSM

Feed Provider
Hi all -

I just received my previously loved SDS200. Coming from a Pro-197, this is quite the upgrade. I definitely had to learn a few new ways of programming! I have both Sentinel and ARC536, and as noted elsewhere in the forums, ARC536 is definitely the winner in ease of use, but it just can't totally replace Sentinel for some of the scanner programming.

To that end, there are two things that I just cannot seem to figure out how to correct:

1) When the SDS200 picks up audio, every 2 seconds or so, the audio will stop, and then pick back up again. Almost like it was checking for a priority channel, yet I have no priority channels programmed, and I have priority scan turned off. Am I missing something? This is something that is really annoying.

2) The LED. On the Pro-197, once the LED is lit, it will stay lit as long as the channel is active, then turn off when the channel clears. On the SDS200, the LED lights, but then regardless of how long the channel is active, it will shut off after a few second. Is there anyway to fix that? Not a big deal, and certainly not nearly as annoying as #1 above, but curious about it.

So far, overall, I like the scanner. I bought it because Iowa seems to be moving to P25 Phase 2, but of course, there doesn't seem to be anything out here to listen to yet. I guess I'll at least be prepared for the future.

Sean - K0MSM

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
To that end, there are two things that I just cannot seem to figure out how to correct:
#1... you have a priority channel turned on. Check also for weather priority, or Close Call priority

#2... the LED staying on is patented, Uniden can't duplicate it.

TJX400

1) When the SDS200 picks up audio, every 2 seconds or so, the audio will stop, and then pick back up again. Almost like it was checking for a priority channel, yet I have no priority channels programmed, and I have priority scan turned off. Am I missing something? This is something that is really annoying.
Check to make sure WX priority is disabled. When the audio stops, is it a quick interruption in the audio (less than 1 second), or does it seem like the scanner is stopping to check another channel? WX priority is the only other thing I can think of that would cause the radio to completely jump from one channel to another spontaneously.

K0MSM

Feed Provider
Thank you very much folks!

Indeed, it was the WX priority. Turned that off, and we're fine now.

Also, good info on the LED. I never would have imagined an LED turning on when a channel is active would be a patented thing, but that's good to know.

Again, very much appreciate all of your help!

Sean - K0MSM

K0MSM

Feed Provider
With the DMR upgrade, this could be of interest: Iowa DMR Users Group
Yep, I'm on DMR. I have an AnyTone Mobile rig mounted in the shack which can hit the Ames DMR site pretty well. I also have a PiStar device running as a hotspot. I was able to get a group for CAP created (3160), and I'm 3181400.

K0MSM

Feed Provider
Keep this wiki article handy - it has answers to questions that are not covered in the Easier to Read manual nor in the supplied user guide....

If Uniden every decides to release updates, Sentinel is the only way to load it. The various third party apps can't - so keep it around

Mike
Will do. I did try to connect to the update site in Sentinel, but it timed out. Still, I'll keep it handy - just in case.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Will do. I did try to connect to the update site in Sentinel, but it timed out.
-
A "timed out" message when updating Sentinel quite frequently indicates a problem with your ISP. Are you using a satellite based ISP? HughesNet?

Ubbe

Indeed, it was the WX priority. Turned that off, and we're fine now.
Try to configure the display to always show all the different kinds of priorities as it is easy to turn them on by mistake if you do a lot of button pushing on the scanner.

/Ubbe

K0MSM

Feed Provider
-
A "timed out" message when updating Sentinel quite frequently indicates a problem with your ISP. Are you using a satellite based ISP? HughesNet?
I use Starlink. There's not much else out here in the sticks. HughesNet has WAY too much latency to be able to work from home.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I use Starlink. There's not much else out here in the sticks. HughesNet has WAY too much latency to be able to work from home.
-
Is this the actual error message you're getting when you try to update?... "Updating HP failed. Operation is canceled. The operation has timed out".

If so, that is usually indicating that Sentinel is having a problem with the latency involved with a satellite based ISP. HughesNet is well known for that, there are many posts about it in the forums. I'm wondering if Starlink might be doing the same thing.

The Uniden servers have been intermittently up and down in recent days, but historically, when the Uniden servers are down, Sentinel's error message for that reason is "Remote server couldn't be reached".

The Uniden server is up and running as of the time of this post, are you able to update your SDS200 at this time? If you still can't update, what is the error message you get?