• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to Motorola - trying to program CDM 1550 to MMDVM interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCone

I'm coming from Baofeng HTs to my first Motorola trying to make a high powered Hotspot using an MMDVM board interface. There are many how tos out there and all is well except my effort to program the CDM1550 in any way.

I can read the radio with Chirp and Waris.py, however I cannot make any changes to the radio (I can't seem to write to it). I'm using a ribless cable from eBay and a homemade cable with the same result. I have a copy of CPS R06.12.09. Two issues here - I still can't write to the radio (I can still read), and it won't allow 25Khz channel width without entitlements, which kills the hotspot effort.

My questions are these:

Do folks know of a budget cable that will write this radio (I'm quite capital constrained)? How do I approach Motorola for the free entitlements I've heard they'll give amateurs? Is there an older version of CPS that will write 25khz channels (my radio looks like it was written with 05.10.04)?

Thanks

Tech21

When it comes to the 25KHz, That means the radio firmware is at the latest version for that radio. CPS won't let you go from narrowband to wideband without the entitlement. If you can read the radio you should be able to write. Your most likely issue is you have something set to wideband which CPS won't even let your write to the radio or your cables are crap. My suggestion would be to go on Amazon and by a rib box. They are like 30 dollars.

In order to obtain the 25kz keys that will allow for wide band programing, their is a narrow band training that you have to take.

There are five keys.

First off you have to have a MOL account. Go to training, click on the LMS drop down, then in the upper right , enter narrowbanding, as one word, in the search box.

It will bring up the following: PRD0001.00E - FCC NARROWBANDING MANDATE TRAINING

Click on it and complete. Wait about 4 hours for the record to get logged into the system, then go to
case management and open a case stating that you have taken the training, include your cert #, and that
you are requesting the keys.

Within 24-36 hrs, you will receive a e-mail about the ablity to order the keys.

At this point, go buying center>search catalog, enter in the part number and place your order.

Waring, the system is not setup to order all the keys at the same time, they must be ordered individually.

After placing your order, within 24-36 hours you will recieve e-mail with the key code.

DO NOT LOSE THEM, THEY ARE ONLY ISSUABLE ONCE.

Here is the part numbers:

Mototrbo – HKVN4046A

Professional Series – HKVN4180A

PR860 – HKVN4181A

Commercial Series – HKVN4182A

CP185 – HKVN4183A

ergbert

If you're using DMR (or DSTAR or P25), why do you need 25KHz? DMR can play perfectly well in 12.5KHz, witness all the narrowband commercial systems in use. I'm using a Tait TM 8105, with a STM32DVM on a Raspberry pi 3b+, and I don't have the settings in front of me but I'm about 99% certain I don't have it set to 25KHz.

Just wanting to add my 2 cents...this morning I attempted to add 147.300 to my CMD1550ls radio using the CPS software I have been using for quite some time. I was able to read from the device with no problem, but when I went to write to it an error message came up that mentioned Narrowbanding, and I need the entitlement keys.. Well, I've successfully programmed the radio many times, and even deleting the channel I wanted to add I was not able to write to the radio.

After I took out the new channel I was attempting to put in I changed nothing else. What was written to the radio just fine 2 weeks ago, failed this week. I'll triple check it all again. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.