• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

new to motos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a deputy who has to provide is own radio and he purchased a gp300 and he needs a new battery which he already has on order but needs a programming cable. I have the software I just don't know how to install it through DOS. Can someone give me some direction please?

Thank ya much

lucas

Alright I see....Thank you. Now just to install dos some how not familiar you don't have to help me with that but it would be appreciated! I touched on it a little bit a few months back but nothing to mind blowing.

mancow

Database Admin
First of all what type of computer are you using? (speed, processor type, etc...)

HP Compaq Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 3GB DDR2, AMD ATHLON X2 Dual Core 2.50 Ghz, 320GB HDD. NVidia n430 Integrated Gphx.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Well that isnt going to work for Dos based software. 90% of motorola software doesnt work with Vista. The older radios that require Dos are old 286,386 and slow Pentium 1's I Run windows 95 with true dos commands for all my older stuff. My XTS and astro I run XP on a pentium II

Josh

The GP300 was a radio that was produced between 1991 and 1996 or thereabouts. Consideration must be made into what type of computers were in use between those years. FFPM571 has hit the nail on the head- you need an older computer.

From what I've heard the GP300 RSS will run just fine on computers with up to 500Mhz processor speed. I personally have it on an old laptop with a 200mhz Pentium 200.

When you run a computer with win95 or 98 you press F8, I believe to get the options to start in safe mode, normal, and "command prompt only". You would want to accept that.

From there you'll be at a C:> DOS screen, use basic DOS commands to get into the folder you put the RSS in, C:\MRSS\GP300 is pretty typical.

GP300.EXE is the file to run and with all the above considered, it should run great, assuming you have a RIB (radio interface box) as well and a basic programming cable which can be made from a 25pin female serial connector and a few wires. visit Model Specific Information to get more information. A workable RIB can be purchased from eBay for around $20+ shipping.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Ok I have a deputy who has to provide is own radio and he purchased a gp300
lucas

law enforcement + GP300 = a recipe for disaster.

He should of looked into an MTS2000 that has real public safety accessories available, better support, and wider programming solutions.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
law enforcement + GP300 = a recipe for disaster.

He should of looked into an MTS2000 that has real public safety accessories available, better support, and wider programming solutions.

They aren't that bad, I know of one agency next door to us (Douglas County, GA SO) that uses GP300's and some GP350's. I'd put them up against a Pro series radio or some of the low end Japanese radios anyday. The big weak points are the RSM connectors, even with the reinforcements, they aren't sturdy. The battery terminals are also fragile. The radio itself is a rock solid unit with decent performance, a 16 channel will do MDC and QCII signaling.

Some GP350's could do narrowband, and had a much better RSM connector.
DCSO has been using their GP's since 1996, most have been phased out for HT1000's and Kenwood TK-2180's lately. They are still in use at the jail.

To the OP, don't even try using any DOS RSS in any modern version of Windows (2000, XP, Vista, Win7). CPU speed is only a factor with older RSS, most newer RSS run fine in a pure DOS environment on a modern machine, provided it has a real serial port (most newer computers do not, and USB to serial adapters will not function in DOS).

I just programmed a ton of GE M-PD and M-PA portables on a Pentium 4 2.6GHz desktop, 2GB of RAM. Booted to DOS 6.22 from a floppy and ran the GE software from a small 120MB FAT16 partition on the HDD. Worked just fine. GE M-PD CNV 2.0 was written in 1990 and M-PA programmer was ver 12 (c) 1994. Amazed that it worked. (it wouldn't read or write on my old IBM PS/2 model 58 486SLC-2 desktop running DOS 6.22)

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The big weak points are the RSM connectors, even with the reinforcements, they aren't sturdy. The battery terminals are also fragile.

These would be major issues that in a physical confrontation could cause him the inability to be able to call for assistance. I know that I wouldn't bet my life on it. The MTS and XTS series radios are specificially designed for rough environments. The Pro Series radios were designed for the industrial/business environment and not for public safety.

Yes the narrow banding could also have an impact on the ability to use the radio past January 2013. That is another issue that could cause him to make another purchase of a more recent model radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.