new to police scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjbster

Premium Subscriber
looking for police scanner for st charles co. missouri, for around 200 or so dollars, is this possible. times have changed since i was a kid. and if i posted this in the wrong place, i apologize, thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
looking for police scanner for st charles co. missouri, for around 200 or so dollars, is this possible. times have changed since i was a kid. and if i posted this in the wrong place, i apologize, thank you
The system used in your county is this one:

It's listed as a P25 Phase II system, but at present, all talkgroups listed are Phase I. In the $200 range, you probably need to look for a good condition previously owned scanner. A new, Phase I capable, digital scanner, such as a WS1040 or WS1065, is going to be above $250. If you wanted to get a phase II capable scanner (many systems either are in the process of updating from P25 Phase I to P25 Phase II), you'd need to add at least another $100 for new.

Also, for the system I linked above, your county, St. Charles, uses a simulcast site for coverage. Simulcast is a problem for most scanners, with the exception of the SDS100 or SDS200. Those are well above your preferred price range.

Simulcast issues are extremely location specific. If you are lucky enough to be in the exactly right location, any number of scanners might work. But if not, or if you are looking at a scanner to carry with you in your vehicle, you most likely will have reception problems.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

You might ask that your thread be moved down into the Missouri forum. You'd be more likely to find someone nearer to you that could advide what works, or does not work, for them. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.