• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New to Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
17
Hi! Boy an I glad I found this web site. My husband just bought me the Pro 96, Radio Shack said that is was programed for our area but I know I am not getting everything as I can hear sirens and my scanner says nothing. I did get the information off this site for my state & county (Chippewa County, Michigan) but even after reading the manual from cover to cover I do not feel confident to start programing things. I have bought the programming cable so I can program things with my computer but I am not sure what software is the best, I think the Win96 but I am not sure about that either. I took the scanner back to Radio Shack & the guy that sold it to me and stated it was completely programmed then changed his attitude and said he didnt know much about programming the scanner...go figure! I would appreciate any help or advice given. I am just worried I am going to mess something up. You all seem to know what all these frequesncy's mean. I feel I need a degree in math to even attempt programming. It just does not seem to make much sense to me. I would be eternally greatful for any peice of advice. If I were to purchase the software, let's say the Win96, do I then enter the frequency's into the software and then download it to the scanner? How far away will this scanner go, in miles. I have no outside antena but I did purchase the bigger antena for the scanner.
Thanks in advance to anyone that responds to this.
Danielle Robinette
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
daniellerobinette said:
Hi! Boy an I glad I found this web site. My husband just bought me the Pro 96, Radio Shack said that is was programed for our area but I know I am not getting everything as I can hear sirens and my scanner says nothing. I did get the information off this site for my state & county (Chippewa County, Michigan) but even after reading the manual from cover to cover I do not feel confident to start programing things. I have bought the programming cable so I can program things with my computer but I am not sure what software is the best, I think the Win96 but I am not sure about that either. I took the scanner back to Radio Shack & the guy that sold it to me and stated it was completely programmed then changed his attitude and said he didnt know much about programming the scanner...go figure! I would appreciate any help or advice given. I am just worried I am going to mess something up. You all seem to know what all these frequesncy's mean. I feel I need a degree in math to even attempt programming. It just does not seem to make much sense to me. I would be eternally greatful for any peice of advice. If I were to purchase the software, let's say the Win96, do I then enter the frequency's into the software and then download it to the scanner? How far away will this scanner go, in miles. I have no outside antena but I did purchase the bigger antena for the scanner.
Thanks in advance to anyone that responds to this.
Danielle Robinette
Win96 is the best software for the Pro96. Per the database most of your area is on the MPSCS system. You can download and try Win96 free for thirty days. The best antenna I've found for the PRO96 on the MPSCS system is the 800Mhz 'Rubber Duckie' one from RS (part number 20-283), it's only about 7 inches long. Also if you're a donating member to this site, you can use Win96 to import the data from here. The best thing to do is see which sites on the MPSCS system you can get and go with them. The PRO96 only needs the control channel to receive a site. The people at Radio Shack usually don't know anything. Just get the Win96 and start programing the scanner. Also welcome to the site and happy scanning.
 

jimsokol

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
430
Location
SW Michigan
I live in SW Michigan, but have visited your county a few times and have used a pro-96 successfully in your area. I only had MPSCS, the digital system programmed, so I only heard mostly law enforcement, and DNR. I think they are simulcasting some of the fire and ems onto the trunked system now, but am not sure. If that's not the case you should be able to use most of what in the database for Chippewa county on this site.

Also be aware that I believe the Police in your area (as in mine) make use of MDT's, where some calls are dispatched to computers in the cars, so you may not hear some types of calls being dispatched.

The scanner comes with preprogrammed v-scanners you can load from it stored memory. Load the one that covers michigan. One of the banks it will load is "michigan SPD upper peninsula". That should get you started for the trunked stuff, but be aware the some freqs in there may have been added since then. You may want to check the sites closest to you in the database here and make sure the primary and alternate control channels exist in the bank.

I also agree that win96 is the way to go for a good programming tool. You will have to buy a programming cable from RS . Part number is in the pro-96 manual.
 

Shackman

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
50
Location
kalamazoo, mi
Win96 is a great program. You are also going to need a programming cable to go with it. Radioshack sells a couple of cables that will work one is a usb cable stock number 20-047. the other is a serial cable which unfortunately I cannot recall the stock number of. Once you get win96 download and save a copy of your scanner programming before you upload anything to the scanner, so if you do make a mistake all you have to do is upload the original programming and you are back in business. Have fun with your scanner, it is a lot easier to program than the manual makes it seem like.
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
Shackman said:
Win96 is a great program. You are also going to need a programming cable to go with it. Radioshack sells a couple of cables that will work one is a usb cable stock number 20-047. the other is a serial cable which unfortunately I cannot recall the stock number of. Once you get win96 download and save a copy of your scanner programming before you upload anything to the scanner, so if you do make a mistake all you have to do is upload the original programming and you are back in business. Have fun with your scanner, it is a lot easier to program than the manual makes it seem like.
It woulg help if you read the origional post. I have bought the programming cable so I can program things.

 

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
7,736
Location
Eclipse, Virginia
Daniell,

Other then Sault Ste. Marie, which site(s) of the MPSCS system can you receive?
 

bigbluemsp

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
1,687
Location
Michigan
She should be able to pick up 2 counties away with the 800 rubber duckie antenna..

Then again I can pic up the entire MSP 2nd district and most of the 3rd and 2 posts from the 1st and all the locals in that area with the exception of a few like Detroit
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
17
Thanks for your reply to my post and for sending me that information. Unfortunatly when I tried to open it , it told me it could not be opened without knowing what program created it. Can you tell me how I should open it, please?
Thanks, Danielle
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
17
I do have the bigger anntenna but have yet to find out if I programed the scanner right. I am waiting to hear something, I live in a very small town and not a lot goes on so I will have to wait until we get some action!
Thanks, Danielle
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
17
At this point I am not conserned with other towns I would just like to be able to get the public safety for my town. If at some point I get something else I will let you know.
Danielle
 

bigbluemsp

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
1,687
Location
Michigan
daniellerobinette said:
Thanks for your reply to my post and for sending me that information. Unfortunatly when I tried to open it , it told me it could not be opened without knowing what program created it. Can you tell me how I should open it, please?
Thanks, Danielle
It was created in Win96. If you open Win96 then go to file then open and open the zip file he sent you if will open it automaticly
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
17
Could you explasZin to me how to install the michigan SPD upper peninsula into my scanner, please? I would greastly appreciate it.

Danielle
 

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
7,736
Location
Eclipse, Virginia
daniellerobinette said:
I dont know what MPSCS system is, could you explain it to me?
Danielle
The state has a trunked statewide system interlocked with most counties. the system also includes State Police. Bank 0 has the MPSCS towers in your area and bank 1 has the conventional freqs in your area.

Discard my zip previous and use this file instead in Win96. This file has a dummy freq between the tower sets in the MPSCS trunking system. This will allow the scanner to function a little better when changing towers.

Edit: redundant word deleted.
 
Last edited:

mmartinfan

Member
Banned
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
1,131
Location
In a house in Ohio
I love the Soo. I always spend one night there then head over to the Newberry area and up to Muskallonge Lake State Park. I need to get back up there soon, I am sure its changed since I was last there in Aug of 2001. If you want a real adventure head out to the Crisp Point Lighthouse, then spend the night there!


Good luck with your programming. I hope to use my Uniden 396T there someday soon.

Kevin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top