New to programming/Uniden BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comurt11

Premium Subscriber
I have always scanned growing up as a kid and just purchased my first phase two scanner. I have the Uniden BCD325P2, not a crazy sophisticated model but it does the trick for me as someone who enjoys listening as a hobby. My first digital scanner was the pro model from Radio Sack, however it came pre programmed with local law enforcement names/frequencies/precincts and such. I am picking up PHX PD through Quick Search and merely just scanning and playing around which I enjoy. However, does anyone have any recommendations on programming so I can listen to Scottsdale PD and MCSO ( Specifically MCSO East ( District 4) and SPD North Dispatch. (Beats 10-20) Thanks! I cant figure out how to use the close call feature either. I am debating on sending it in to Uniden to program Maricopa County frequencies in to the scanner for me. I am open to any suggestions or feedback as me and my family really have fun listening to local Police in our area.
Thanks in advance

eg153wftx

You will have to put some supporting programming software in your computer ... ARC, Butel, Proscan, Freescan are a few on the market some are free. A good place to start is in the wiki pages of RR on Uniden programming also the Uniden forums. I am sure others will chime in to help.

I am open to any suggestions or feedback
Most people program their own scanner.

Software makes it easy.

I use Freescan for my 325P2. Here's a link:

The "Easier to Read" manual explains how Close Call works:

Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

Good luck!

Paysonscanner

You will have to put some supporting programming software in your computer ... ARC, Butel, Proscan, Freescan are a few on the market some are free. A good place to start is in the wiki pages of RR on Uniden programming also the Uniden forums. I am sure others will chime in to help.

Which of those do you think is the best? I don't care about the cheapest, I'm looking for something that has the most features, most straightforward to use, etc. I just bought the 996P2, the 1st scanner I've purchased since 2008 (PSR-500/600's) and the outstanding Starrsoft software you could use for them. I want to be able to cut and snip, copy, reorganize channel order, assign each channel to multiple banks or lists (I think Uniden calls them groups), etc.

eg153wftx

Which of those do you think is the best? I don't care about the cheapest, I'm looking for something that has the most features, most straightforward to use, etc. I just bought the 996P2, the 1st scanner I've purchased since 2008 (PSR-500/600's) and the outstanding Starrsoft software you could use for them. I want to be able to cut and snip, copy, reorganize channel order, assign each channel to multiple banks or lists (I think Uniden calls them groups), etc.
The couple that can "import" from the RRDB Freescan is one of them...

Comurt11

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much!

Paysonscanner

The couple that can "import" from the RRDB Freescan is one of them...

I'm suspicious of anything that is free. Since my prior post we've reconsidered and are about 90% we're going to return the 996P2 anyway. The primary reason we need a Phase 2 scanner to listen to APS during power outages and I didn't think about the backup battery situation I will have to set up for a base station. I don't really have room to do so. Nothing up our way is simulcast. I don't like the SDS-100 because of the battery. The display looks like it shows more than I need to look at all the time. The TX-1 looks good for our situation, uses 4 AA batteries and the software is probably more similar to what I've used for the PSR-500/600's we have here.

Thanks for your reply though!

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm suspicious of anything that is free. Since my prior post we've reconsidered and are about 90% we're going to return the 996P2 anyway. The primary reason we need a Phase 2 scanner to listen to APS during power outages and I didn't think about the backup battery situation I will have to set up for a base station. I don't really have room to do so. Nothing up our way is simulcast. I don't like the SDS-100 because of the battery. The display looks like it shows more than I need to look at all the time. The TX-1 looks good for our situation, uses 4 AA batteries and the software is probably more similar to what I've used for the PSR-500/600's we have here.

Thanks for your reply though!

Go for a BCD325P2. It does P25 Phase 2, runs on two AA batteries and cheaper than a TRX-1.

Foresigt

Actually right now you can't. HRO is only open for curb side pick up. You can't go in the store.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
There is an HRO in Phoenix. I bet you could go there and listen to them side by side and make your decision.

Unfortunately, HRO is not accepting anything other than "will-call" customers. I've bought several items from them since the lockdown began and they shut down for all foot traffic in the store.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Payson do not be suspicious of FreeScan, the free software uploader for scanners. Ive been using it for years. I have programmed my scanner BY HAND before, it was a good teaching tool for me to get a feel for the receiver and how it works, but I would shudder to think of manually entering in everything now. With my BCD996P2 (phase 2 capable, does the job, nothing fancy like sds100) from what I have internet-searched I came to conclusion the scanner that programs via zip code entry was not one I wanted- I can't remember why, but the BCD was "best choice" without costing 700/800$ or more. Amazon had some at a great price, & they guarantee satisfaction! no worries- you will get a working scanner from them. I paid for a radioreference membership (only 15 dollars, makes programming a breeeeeeeze!) I open the Freescan program on my computer, there's a button that logs you into RR, and you just click.. it uploads anything you want, and your preferences too. I found I could set it to "upload control channels only" (you want this, if you don't know why look into it) and to ignore/not upload Encrypted channels (you can't receive them so why bother) just my two cents - freescan is lovely. I don't have to ask the Mr to "help"- he's not into scanning anyway, so I can do it all myself. Look into Freescan, save yourself headaches.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I'm suspicious of anything that is free. Since my prior post we've reconsidered and are about 90% we're going to return the 996P2 anyway.
FreeSCAN works with both the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. It has been around for a long time with a lot of users. There is nothing to be suspicious about. The limitations are that it has only partial support for DMR and no support for NXDN. It will work fine for P25 Phase 1 & 2 systems. If you get the DMR or NXDN upgrade for the BCD325P or BCD996P2, you will need either ARC-XT or ProScan, which are paid programs.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What makes it "near end of life?

No it's not. It has no expiration!

It works fine and will for a very long time.
It's not being updated. It doesn't support all types of radio systems, and likely never will. Surely that isn't too difficult to understand?

Surely that isn't too difficult to understand?
I use it and have used it for years to program all of my scanners.

It works fine, so to say that there's anything "wrong with it" or that it's in any way "End of Life" just isn't true. Is it?

That's deliberate misinformation. It's software and it has no expiration date.

Here's a link to the FREE download:

Status
Not open for further replies.