ProScan: New to Proscan - need a little help

jackmail226

I am new to Proscan and I was hoping to get some help with what looks to be a fantastic add on to the scanner.

I’ve downloaded the software trial but confused about certain aspects of the configuration, using BDC536HP

The main feature that I wish to get correct is setting things up with a client so I can listen using a laptop in another part of the home. At this time I am not concerned about accessing my scanner from outside my home network.

Here’s how I have it set up now:

USB cable connected from Scanner to Laptop #1 with the full version installed.

Laptop #2 in another room with the free Client 17.5.

All is working and I am receiving audio and the image of the scanner on the remote PC (Laptop #2), but with my limited experience --- it took a while!

The question I have is that the notes somewhere on the site seem to indicate that I have to utilize the IP address for the Bearcat Wi-Fi Dongle as reported from the menu on the scanner. I could get no connection when putting the dongle IP address alone in nor with the longer address starting with rstp followed by the ip and au:scanner.au address.

I finally got “connection” when I actually tried using the IP address of the laptop #1 in which the full version is installed on.

So my question is --- am I using this correctly or is there a better way? Perhaps I should connect directly to the Dongle. Right now the scanner is in “infrastructure mode”.

Any information as to If my connection is correct or other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

freqseeker

I haven't used the free client. Once you buy the software you are allowed to use it on two computers. I use the RSOIP "remote scanner over ip"
feature and set the computer connected to the scanner as server and my laptop is set as the client.
Here is a link to a good write up on the proscan.org website written by RR user NYRHKY94 for setting up RSOIP. RSOIP link
Free client probably works the same way, but if when you purchase ProScan you can use the full program for both computers.
It sounds like you have it setup correctly.
I have two licenses and have no regrets.
If you have more questions let us know. Bob the creator of ProScan is on the forums as well.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
USB DOES NOT PASS AUDIO
You need to connect the Scanner and Proscan Server using NETWORK Connection to pass Audio to the Client PC.
PROSCAN Allows 2 installs per license you use 1 for the server connected to the PC and 1 for the client or just use 1 and connect to the scanner directly through the WIFI network at his home.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
For the 536HP, input sound device needs to be set to the same wifi IP address your router assigns to the scanner via the tabs I outlined in order to stream audio to the web server (from drop down choose URL then click URL setup). Same idea for Remote Scanner over IP, Recorder, etc

1666450373438.png

freqseeker

I was a little confused with the op's post. I think he used USB at first and then tried the wifi dongle successfully. They said they had both display and audio, and as mentioned audio will not pass through USB. So either they used a audio cable or they connected through IP.

The question I have is that the notes somewhere on the site seem to indicate that I have to utilize the IP address for the Bearcat Wi-Fi Dongle as reported from the menu on the scanner. I could get no connection when putting the dongle IP address alone in nor with the longer address starting with rstp followed by the ip and au:scanner.au address.

This makes me think he tried the dongle as he tried the dongle IP address.
Maybe the OP will clarify this.

jackmail226

Hello and thanks for all who wrote back.

I am confused by the document RSOIP link as it seems to indicate that I need to enter the IP address of the dongle which is obtained from “Show WIFI information” on the scanner.

When I enter the IP address of the dongle using the exact syntax mentioned in that paper, I get no connection. I’ve tried turning off firewall on both laptops temporarily but that didn’t help – so firewalls back on – on both.

Right now I am getting it to work with display and audio but here is my connection, which I’m not sure is correct:

Scanner attached via wired USB to 1st laptop, no audio cable (no audio coming out of that computer, just screen showing scanner display). Program set up as “server” on that 1st laptop.

2nd laptop running full version of ProScan set up as “client”.

The main thing I don’t understand is that on the client , the IP address is set up in that client computer Proscan's settings pointing to the ip address on my home network for the 1st laptop computer – not the dongle as reported in “Show WIFI information” on BCD536!

If there’s a way to eliminate the USB cable and still get the image and audio, particularly on the second computer in the other room --- that would be great. I’m stuck at this point and not as proficient as I’d like to be on this but hoping to get things set up in the proper way.

Any further guidance much appreciated!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hello and thanks for all who wrote back.

I am confused by the document RSOIP link as it seems to indicate that I need to enter the IP address of the dongle which is obtained from “Show WIFI information” on the scanner.

The main thing I don’t understand is that on the client , the IP address is set up in that client computer Proscan's settings pointing to the ip address on my home network for the 1st laptop computer – not the dongle as reported in “Show WIFI information” on BCD536!

There are two types of connections using the BCD536HP WiFi Dongle which I think is causing the confusion. See if this helps

Connection #1
Scanner <----> ProScan - Use the scanner IP address in ProScan for the scanner WiFi data & audio

Connection #2
ProScan <----> Web Browser- Use the computer IP address in the web browser

jackmail226

Hello,

I was out of town for most of the week and now I’m back working with BCD536 and Proscan. (Hoping to not be so busy next week…)

The problem I was having apparently was that I had the USB cable attached between the scanner and Laptop all the time and under that connection scenario the dongle ip address will not work.

Couple other questions:

• To modify favorite’s lists or add new channels – this cannot be done through the dongle; I need to connect via USB, correct?
  • If I wanted to add say a BCD996P to my shack, can I still utilize the feature of taking a laptop in another room with Proscan?
  • Am I correct that with BCT996P or any supported unit that does not have a wifi dongle; two computers are needed with Proscan loaded on each – one as the server and one as the client?
Any help on these questions appreciated.

Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The problem I was having apparently was that I had the USB cable attached between the scanner and Laptop all the time and under that connection scenario the dongle ip address will not work.
It should work as long as the scanner is not in Mass Storage mode. Go into the menu Wi-Fi Setup - Show Wi-Fi Information then verify the scanner has obtained an IP Address.

To modify favorite’s lists or add new channels – this cannot be done through the dongle; I need to connect via USB, correct?
That's correct. The scanner has to be in Mass Storage mode which will knock out the Wi-Fi connection for the time that the scanner is in Mass Storage mode.

If I wanted to add say a BCD996P to my shack, can I still utilize the feature of taking a laptop in another room with Proscan?
Yes. Run another instance of ProScan in a different folder. Use a different RSOIP server port for each instance. On the client side, you can run 1 instance for both servers. To switch servers, change the port # or you can run 2 instances on the client side. 1 instance is setup for port #5000 and the other instance #5001.

Am I correct that with BCT996P or any supported unit that does not have a wifi dongle; two computers are needed with Proscan loaded on each – one as the server and one as the client?
I'm not clear on this one. The RSOIP server and client connection is a different connection and doesn't matter if using the WiFi dongle or not.
If using the Web Server feature, then you don't need ProScan or the free client on the 2nd computer.

jackmail226

Sorry for so many questions but I want to make sure I get a better understanding.
1667063761401.png
When you reference running another instance in a different folder - do you mean to copy the folder that Proscan is in now and simply rename it and my desktop shortcut icon to say, Proscan2 for instance?

Please let me know

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
When you reference running another instance in a different folder - do you mean to copy the folder that Proscan is in now and simply rename it and my desktop shortcut icon to say, Proscan2 for instance?
That will work.
Per the FAQ page on the proscan.org website.
Q: Can I run multiple copies of ProScan or RadioFeed on one computer?
A: Yes. Many instances of ProScan or RadioFeed can run on the same computer. Copy the contents of the ProScan or RadioFeed folder to a new folder. Change the Comm Port setting and other options specific to that instance.

jackmail226

in the copy or clean install scenario, if I wanted to run only a BCD996p2 at my qth and control its scanning functions in another room with a laptop using Proscan, will I have to purchase a 2nd license for Proscan since I have it twice on the 1st computer? I'd want to have control in the other room and it is my understanding that the free client would only allow me to listen, without the ability to hit "hold" and restart scanning etc...

I should mention that the questions on using the '996p2 with Proscan are because I have a friend wanting to swap scanners and some other stuff with me and I’m thinking the '996p2 may well serve my needs - which would be a "win-win" for both of us. (I have the '536 now and it's working with the dongle and Proscan, in the other room but want to make sure I understand how to get the '996p2 to work with Proscan in the other room too).

I appreciate the replies and assistance from everyone as you can probably tell, I am somewhat of a “newbie” with the software.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You can run as many copies of ProScan as you want on one or two computers, with a single license. There is also a free client that you could run on the PC in the other room (distant from your scanner), and save your other 2nd pc license for some other purpose.

Last edited: