• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to radio - questions on use for at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyBennett

Newby
Doing some simple math, at 4 to 8 acres (The OP is not sure how large the land is), the furthest that individuals standing at the very edge of the property will be, is approximately 800 feet, at the very most. Typically the distance will be less that 400 feet. Any cheap kids radio will cover that distance with no problem.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
How about C.B. with really good antenna systems?
The main issue with CB is a "really good" antenna is going to be BIG. Base sation ====>Base station or Base station ====>mobile would be ok, but even a 36" whip on a handheld is unwieldy.

Higher frequencies require shorter antennas. MURS in in the 156 MHz range which equates to about a 18" antenna, FRS or GMRS is in the 462/467 MHz range which equates to about a 6" antenna. The equivalent antenna for CB, which is 27 MHz would be about 9 feet!.

RockyBennett

Newby
The main issue with CB is a "really good" antenna is going to be BIG. Base sation ====>Base station or Base station ====>mobile would be ok, but even a 36" whip on a handheld is unwieldy.

Higher frequencies require shorter antennas. MURS in in the 156 MHz range which equates to about a 18" antenna, FRS or GMRS is in the 462/467 MHz range which equates to about a 6" antenna. The equivalent antenna for CB, which is 27 MHz would be about 9 feet!.

That is not necassary to talk 400 to 500 feet. I have A Cobra handheld CB radio that can easily cover way over 500 feet with the small antenna that it came with.

RockyBennett

Newby
Since the OP only has about 4 acres of land and really only wants to talk about 200 to 300 feet on a radio, these little kids walkie talkies will work great. https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T10...f7e1-44eb-ad06-aebbef559a37&tag=parentsosp-20

I just used a set to play with my Grandkids and they communicated clearly for well over 800 feet here in my little town. This will be more than adequate for the OP's needs.

Golay

For those suggesting FRS, I agree with them. Here's one vendor page that shows some FRS radios that have weather radio in them. All FRS radios transmit a half a watt. The more you pay, the better the audio, and the further they will receive.

RockyBennett

Newby
I'm VERY new to radio. I wanted to buy a couple of radios/walkies that my family could use around the homestead and possibly with a friend that is several miles away (15~).

I started looking into things and found that radio is much more complex that I once thought and am not sure where to start to learn...

What I'd like to have:
Ability to have a channel set up so wife and I can talk within a couple mile distance on the homestead and also be able to have the device scan or listen at the same time for my friend as well. Is that possible? I'd like to program it so that I can listen to local NOAA weather reports, police, etc.

Reading this post again, it seems like you have a 1,200 acre ranch or even larger. If you want to talk for 2 miles across your land, the minimum size would be 1,280 acres if you and your partner were at the extremes.

How large is this land? Is it really over 1,200 acres?

gman1971

For talking on such large property I would pick a pair of Motorola DTR700 900Mhz FHSS digital portables. These DTR radios have excellent range, even inside ships, buildings, etc, and no license is required. The audio quality is crystal clear, and are very difficult to eavesdrop on too since they are FHSS. The DTR500 series is a cheaper alternative... but again... more range == more $$$$...

G.

RockyBennett

Newby
We are actually waiting for the OP to respond to tell us whether the piece of land is close to 4 acres like he claims or maybe a little bit larger. If the land is only about 5 or 10 acres, any cheap walkie talkie will work beautifully for his needs.

gman1971

I understand that a 9.95 BF-888s could "potentially" get the job done, I own like 15 of them... (all collecting dust in a parts bin at the basement, btw) With that said, if the OP only wants to communicate inside their property, it is safe to assume they want some privacy, and certain reliability, so I would pick the DTR radios.

G.

We are actually waiting for the OP to respond to tell us whether the piece of land is close to 4 acres like he claims or maybe a little bit larger. If the land is only about 5 or 10 acres, any cheap walkie talkie will work beautifully for his needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.