New to Radios - How to Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidtravel

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

First let me say I am currently studying for my Technician's test. I hope to have passed the test by the end of the year.

Having said that, I do have a question about getting started once I have my license. I currently have 2 BaoFeng UV-5R radios and want to use those specifically when on the road or when camping, hiking, etc...

I know the range for the BaoFengs is modest to say the least and have already ordered a much better antenna for both.

I have also been looking for references to repeaters in my area and have programmed 1 in each radio. That one is too far from my home however and I can't pick it up it seems.

Anyway, am I right in thinking that is I want to use these radios while hiking or camping (plan on going to the Grand Canyon in Jan) that I would first need to see what repeaters on available where I am going, how far they are from specifically where I will be and if appropriate, program those repeaters into my radios?

During those times I am really just wanting to use them for emergencies, specifically if I don't have cell coverage.

Am I thinking about this in the right way? As I said, I am very new to learning about any of this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I want to get a better radio for the house. Any suggestions for a beginning radio and antenna, that my HOA will not yell at me about?

thanks so much.

w2xq

Mentor
Welcome to the world of amateur radio.

This Q&A -- https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blo...rogram_the_baofeng_uv-5r_from_the_keypad.html -- may help in programming your radio by hand. The "comments" below also address a question of using the radios outside the 2m and 70cm bands.

At the Grand Canyon, unless the other person using your second UV-5R also has an amateur radio license, you will have to explore the GMRS repeater offerings. See https://mygmrs.com as a starting point. Otherwise, look at https://www.repeaterbook.com to see what might be available.

As for a "better" radio and antenna, that really depends upon what you think you might be interested in doing once you get your amateur radio license.

First, there are many variants to your question already asked and answered here in Radioreference. I wouldn't jump into buying equipment until you have done some reading. I would encourage you to look through (over time) the older questions, following the thread of responses, in the various forums. Additionally, look through the Wiki for the "how-to" reference material.

Second, I assume you have contact information for the persons, club or organization that will administer the Technician license examination. I suggest you seek out those involved and perhaps join (hopefully) a local club. I would expect you may well find one or more persons willing to help you answer your questions tailored to your location.

If you haven't already explored the "how to..." sections on the ARRL Home website, I would encourage you do so. If you can't find an area amateur radio, start looking on this Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs page.

This answer may not be what you expected, but I hope it helps a bit.

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Anyway, am I right in thinking that is I want to use these radios while hiking or camping (plan on going to the Grand Canyon in Jan) that I would first need to see what repeaters on available where I am going, how far they are from specifically where I will be and if appropriate, program those repeaters into my radios?

During those times I am really just wanting to use them for emergencies, specifically if I don't have cell coverage.

Welcome to the world of radio.

You have the right basic idea, but need to take more factors into consideration.

• If you are going INTO the Grand Canyon, chances are you will not have any repeater coverage.
  • Program your radio with the national simplex (direct) VHF and UHF frequencies of 146.520 and 446.000 as well as any locally used (AZ/NM) simplex frequencies.
  • When I'm in the backcountry, I also have the national search and rescue (NATSAR) frequencies of 155.160 and 155.220 (nfm RX and TX) programmed into the radios.
  • Know that unless your traveling partners are also licensed hams, you won't be able to legally use amateur frequencies to talk between members of your group.
  • In addition to amateur frequencies, program in (as receive only) the VHF weather channels for the area. Conditions can change quickly in the backcountry and you would want to avoid areas with an impending weather impact.
  • If you are going into infrequently traveled remote areas, let somebody know (such as checking in at a ranger station) your planned itinerary, travel partners, expect time of return and what radio frequencies you will be monitoring. AND check back in when you are out of the area!

Check on the Arizona and New Mexico state forums for active frequencies in the area you will be traveling to. Nothing beats local intelligence.

Once you are licensed, become familiar with the capabilities of your radios, including how to enter frequencies manually. The Baofengs are decent radios for the price, but they have their shortcomings and idiosyncrasies.

Also, give reasonable consideration to purchasing a better quality radio. The Baofengs are good, entry level, disposable radios, but you will eventually want a radio with better performance and features, such as the Yaesu FT-60R.

Liquidtravel

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for your feedback. The radios are not being used to communicate back and forth between the 2 radios. I do understand both people would need a license. We have other radios for that. My question was mainly around in case of an emergency.

Again, thanks to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.