New to Radios!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome! What kind of radios are you interested in? If you have a scanner, what type is it? If you are interested in buying a scanner, let us know your location (city, county, state) and we can advise you on which ones will work.

shadowst0rm

Welcome! What kind of radios are you interested in? If you have a scanner, what type is it? If you are interested in buying a scanner, let us know your location (city, county, state) and we can advise you on which ones will work.

I was recently given an older Uniden BC75XLT, and also a Baofeng UV-5R. I figured out how to work/program the scanner to my area, and have a nifty software on my computer that makes it even easier lol. So I listen to that. The UV-5R, I was using that as well to listen, and am studying a test thingy to get a technician? license? It will, apparently, allow me to legally talk on the frequencies and such. I don't like doing anything without researching, so I looked up both radios the day I got them. I was pretty surprised to see that the 5R, at least in the USA, required licensing to use legally. So, I looked up that and found what I needed, figured I would start there. So I don't talk on it, but I like listening to it, the HAM bands. I realize that listening is only a fraction of its capability, and I am working to change that. Can't wait till I can talk back ^_^

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR! I've enjoyed my hobby of scanning the airwaves for 2 decades and am still learning new things about it. The RR forums are the only place I go to give and get advice about the vast world of radio. Some of the topics and technical discussions here are way over my head but I still thoroughly enjoy reading about it & there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to lend you a hand. You're among friends here!

shadowst0rm

Welcome. I became interested in radio at 13 and it has been good to me. Made a career out of it.
Oh wow! What is it that you do, for a career I mean, if it's not too bold? That is awesome!!!

Welcome to RR! I've enjoyed my hobby of scanning the airwaves for 2 decades and am still learning new things about it. The RR forums are the only place I go to give and get advice about the vast world of radio.
Well any advice is greatly appreciated and needed!! I am reading Ham for Dummies atm lol. I have poured over pages dealing with homemade antenna creation, stealth antennas, digital signals, (argh I am nearly certain my scanner is 'analogue' only, which means I cannot get the other signal?) Anyway, this subject has always fascinated me and now that I have been gifted these two radios, I am so excited!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Correct, both the Uniden BC75XLT and Baofeng UV-5R can only tune into analog signals which unfortunately rules out law enforcement/fire/EMS in many areas (many even moving towards encryption, which no consumer receiver can pick up) But there's still plenty out there to tune around and listen to

Joe_Blough

Oh wow! What is it that you do, for a career I mean, if it's not too bold? That is awesome!!!

Got my amateur radio technician class license at 14 and had my Extra by 17 which required 20 word per minute morse code test along with the written test (this was before all the questions and answers were provided to memorize). Got my 2nd class commercial radio
telephone at 18 and my 1st class commercial radiotelephone with radar endorsement at 19. I started working as an electronics assembler with Regency Electronics and because I got of my amateur radio license my 2nd and 1st class commercial license they trained me as factory trained repair technician within a few months of working there. Took a couple years to go from the theory to practical application in troubeshooting and repair but in the end I was the guy they brought the radios to when the other techs couldn't figure out what was wrong with them.

They eventually closed down but ever since I have been always been in electronics troubleshooting and repair and always moving up for higher pay wherever I went.

As the saying goes, if you do something you like for a living, you will never work a day in your life.

shadowst0rm

Got my amateur radio technician class license at 14 and had my Extra by 17 which required 20 word per minute morse code test along with the written test (this was before all the questions and answers were provided to memorize). Got my 2nd class commercial radio
telephone at 18 and my 1st class commercial radiotelephone with radar endorsement at 19. I started working as an electronics assembler with Regency Electronics and because I got of my amateur radio license my 2nd and 1st class commercial license they trained me as factory trained repair technician within a few months of working there. Took a couple years to go from the theory to practical application in troubeshooting and repair but in the end I was the guy they brought the radios to when the other techs couldn't figure out what was wrong with them.

They eventually closed down but ever since I have been always been in electronics troubleshooting and repair and always moving up for higher pay wherever I went.

As the saying goes, if you do something you like for a living, you will never work a day in your life.
That is pretty cool. That is a lot of experience lol. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the group,when you get your Ham Lic let us know here......
I will! Hopefully in the next two months, given my schedule and the testing center's availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.