New to scan. Programming BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

djworland

OK, Got the Uniden BCD996XT for a present. I feel like I'm kinda a geek with toys but I'm lost. Is there a way to program this thing manually? The docs don't really help me much. I printed the lists of freq that I want from here but can't for the life of me figure out how to enter them.

I hate to buy software and subscribe here as this will probably be a one time thing.

Thanks for any advice and/or help

mciupa

Database Admin
Welcome to RadioReference djworland :)

Since you already have your premium subscription, I suggest you head over to the WIKI on this site and check out Freescan at this link: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

This program should help you set up and understand your scanner's programming.

Good Luck. :)

qlajlu

Silent Key
I would also suggest that return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location as city and state rather than a zip code. That will be much easier for others to help you when you make your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific. A zip code does not help us know where your are.

Last edited:

WA8MHY

Premium Subscriber
Give me more

How do you use the data from the RRDatabase and apply it to your scanner, say Uniden BCD996XT ?

When I look at the database for Michigan, county of Ingham were do I start, do I take what I see..

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
460.35000 WQDI360 RM 162.2 PL Ing PoliceBU Police - 9-1-1 Dispatch Fallback/Backup FM Law Talk
460.07500 WQDI360 M 162.2 PL Ing PD c2c Police - Car-to-Car Talkaround FM Law Talk

and put it into the scanner or does it require interpitation ? (the above is only an example)

Does the Software do it ALL, or do you still need to translate the above example to get your scanner to work ?

Thanks

mciupa

Database Admin
How do you use the data from the RRDatabase and apply it to your scanner, say Uniden BCD996XT ?

When I look at the database for Michigan, county of Ingham were do I start, do I take what I see..

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
460.35000 WQDI360 RM 162.2 PL Ing PoliceBU Police - 9-1-1 Dispatch Fallback/Backup FM Law Talk
460.07500 WQDI360 M 162.2 PL Ing PD c2c Police - Car-to-Car Talkaround FM Law Talk

and put it into the scanner or does it require interpitation ? (the above is only an example)

Does the Software do it ALL, or do you still need to translate the above example to get your scanner to work ?

Thanks

Hi WA8MHYwelcome to RadioReference :)

What I have highlighted in red is what you would input into the fields of your software program, or even if you were to do it by hand.

brusso99

Just got the same unit today...

1st Off let me say its a total joke the lack of documentation provided with a $500 dollar radio.. Total Joke!!! What is that cd provided with it? not a manual its a bad website. Not a bit of documentation on what anything does.

2nd Thank god for people who do better jobs then the company providing information..

I find working this unit to be streesful, not something enjoyable. with that said download the free scan app. Then download whats in the radio from the factory to see what the data looks like and to have a backup. save that as factory.996 then you can see what to do. you can then program in a test system as shown or pay for the membership and download the areas you want in the unit.

I am getting a pcr-2500 for scanning, this is going to be dedicated to trunking. Even the software control for 70 bucks does nothing at all to make regular scanning easy.

You would think that you would get a nice list of everything you have programmed and would be able to jump to that, so if lets say there is a swat call in "city X" you could just jump over to city X swat 1, but no.. you have to press all these keys, this should be what the software does for you.

I want to scan one talk group in my city and still cant find that, all i can do is system hold and then select the channel from the group manualy. I want to scan the talk group..

I also have had issues with scanning lets say public safety band then pressing a wrong key and not being able to return to what i had locked in.

is there better documentation on this at all?

Thanks
and Good Luck.

Last edited:

swstow

Premium Subscriber
OK, Got the Uniden BCD996XT for a present. I feel like I'm kinda a geek with toys but I'm lost. Is there a way to program this thing manually? The docs don't really help me much. I printed the lists of freq that I want from here but can't for the life of me figure out how to enter them.

I hate to buy software and subscribe here as this will probably be a one time thing.

Thanks for any advice and/or help

djworland if you are still having trouble let me know,i live in cincinnati and may be able to help

WA8MHY

Premium Subscriber
Programming Scanners

Thanks to all who are helping us Trunk-challanged scanner wannabees.

Keep the info coming,

I do like the idea of sucking out the pre programmed data for study and see how it's stored in the scanner.

Will you tell me, with software program __X___, could I donwload county data from RR-database (as a member of course) and then send it to a BCd996xt and then with a little help, be able to listen in on the freq's downloaded ? (does that make sence).

Some where I ran accross a manual that was downloadable, So you can read it without being on the net.
Sorry I don't have the address right now.

Thanks

Dave

mciupa

Database Admin
I do like the idea of sucking out the pre programmed data for study and see how it's stored in the scanner.

Will you tell me, with software program __X___, could I donwload county data from RR-database (as a member of course) and then send it to a BCd996xt and then with a little help, be able to listen in on the freq's downloaded ? (does that make sense).

Dave

You could try what I suggested in post #2 after your premium membership is activated
mciupa said:
... head over to the WIKI on this site and check out Freescan at this link: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

brusso99

send me an email to my junkmail account br9999cs AT hotmail.com and i will send you the freescan data file from my scanner and help you..

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.