New to Scanners Help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coryw

I'm new to scanners and just picked up a SDS100. I'm trying to figure out if I have a setting wrong, bad reception, or something is wrong with the unit.
I pretty much bought this scanner just to listen to Ramsey County (mostly St. Paul Police). Just for testing purposes I removed the favorites list I made and just used the full data base scan, than I locked it in on the Allied Radio Matrix ARMOR system, than I just let it scan the channels. I'm only getting a MNDOT chatter every once and a while and maybe a State Patrol here and there. I did also make sure all the LAW services were on in the "select service". Also set my zip code and did tried various ranges (10, 15, 30,50). Nothing seems to change. If I could just get the Ramsey County channels to work, I'd be happy :). I'm about 2 miles from the Ramsey County border, is it possible I am too far away? I feel like I'd still be picking up Washington County and surrounding area law channels. (I also made sure the database and firmware was up to date when I got it) Any insight would be very much appreciated.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Allot of the locals went full encryption around the cities. Don’t live down there so others could chime in to verify this. Am up by St. Cloud. I hear part of the county folks down there on armer with my SDS 200. I set my distance to 10 miles and still pickup up stuff down there on the west side. Make sure your tac service is on besides all the police services. If your close to town with allot of high buildings around you, that blocks signals. When your not working, go to a big open area not far from your home to see if your hearing more.

coryw

Thank you I'll double check that. I pick up a few county channels maybe 1 every hour. I also listen on a phone app and I get way more activity on that. I was told by a Sheriff that Hennepin County is the only encrypted channel currently. I even bought a new antenna thinking that might help, but that didn't do anything. It's weird because when I do pick up a channel it's from like 2 counties away. I've spent hours on this thing and I'm starting to think there's either a setting I'm missing or the the darn thing has something wrong (or a reception issue). Frustrating for the cost !!

stmills

Encryption- Hennepin Sheriff Dispatch and most law enforcement, Scott County All Law Enforcement, Airport Police.
What systems/towers are you receiving on your SDS?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would try lower values for your global Range setting, even as low as 1 to start with. When you go with a high Range value, your scanner is attempting to monitor, without success, numerous sites. So the scanner could be wasting a lot of time trying to listen to something it cannot.

Being that close to Ramsey County you should hear them fine. You have a complicated scanner monitoring a complicated system and it will take some time to smooth it out.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Allot of the locals went full encryption around the cities. Don’t live down there so others could chime in to verify this. Am up by St. Cloud. I hear part of the county folks down there on armer with my SDS 200. I set my distance to 10 miles and still pickup up stuff down there on the west side. Make sure your tac service is on besides all the police services. If your close to town with allot of high buildings around you, that blocks signals. When your not working, go to a big open area not far from your home to see if your hearing more.

Ramsey County is not encrypted with the exception of some tac channels.

coryw

Ya, I've tried everything I can think (I'm learning as I go of course!). It makes me think its bad reception because I can leave it on for 2 hours and it will pick up maybe 3 or 4 calls total across all channels. I'm gonna try and bring it to a friends house that lives in the middle of Ramsey County and see if the reception changes at all. These things are frustrating :) I don't know enough about them yet to know if it's me or a problem with the device itself. Watching LOTS of youtube videos..

coryw

What control channel/ site are you monitoring?

I'm trying to monitor St. Paul (Ramsey County) police mostly. I have it set on the Allied Radio Matrix system (ARMER). I've tried just scanning Ramsey County, I've tried scanning the whole Matrix statewide system and It only finds something maybe once every half hour. Most of the time it's either Dakota County or State Patrol. It's funny because they are actually farther away from me than Ramsey County. I've also tried turning all the different services on and than just selecting a few (law, EMS, Fire, Law dispatch, etc..) with the same results. I've also tried setting my range farther away, closer, and even the auto locate.

stmills

ARMER is broken down into Sites - in your location you likely could be receiving signals from Dakota County, Washington County, Ramsey County, Anoka County and City Sites. Not all the sites will have the Talkgroups you are wanting and with the limited reception you are getting it is likely you are locking on to a distant site. As a general rule Law Enforcement Dispatch channels are carried on the County they are located in and the systems that border it. As an example listening to the Ramsey county system 2-003 will get you Ramsey County, Washington County, Anoka County, Hennepin County - but they are encrypted, and Dakota County. When you are receiving a signal or a control channel do you know which County site you are hearing?

coryw

ARMER is broken down into Sites - in your location you likely could be receiving signals from Dakota County, Washington County, Ramsey County, Anoka County and City Sites. Not all the sites will have the Talkgroups you are wanting and with the limited reception you are getting it is likely you are locking on to a distant site. As a general rule Law Enforcement Dispatch channels are carried on the County they are located in and the systems that border it. As an example listening to the Ramsey county system 2-003 will get you Ramsey County, Washington County, Anoka County, Hennepin County - but they are encrypted, and Dakota County. When you are receiving a signal or a control channel do you know which County site you are hearing?
Thank you for the help. When I do hear something it is usually Dakota, Anoka, and sometimes Ramsey County, but not the St Paul channels (east, central, west, and car to car). It's usually either White Bear Lake. I also hit Washington County every once in a while. I tried even going into Sentinel and just doing St. Paul into a favorites, but it I didn't hear anything. I did also get a few blurbs of the LEtac channels last night. Same thing though, it's like I hear something once, than I don't hear anything else from that channel. I've even locked it on the channel I've heard something on just to see if I can hear it again. Not sure if I'm making much sense :) Do you think my main problem is reception/my location ? I was gonna hop in my car and drive to the middle of Ramsey county and see if that did anything !

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Can you go outside and scan a bit to see if there is a difference? Wondering if you have enough RF from the house stopping signals. An outdoor antenna works the best for signals. Did you try scanning from your friends house yet? Also wondering if your close to any cell or radio towers that may hinder your reception.

stmills

All 3 St. Paul channels are carried on the Dakota & Hennepin East sites. I suspect you are connecting to a distant site when you want to connect to a closer one.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd encourage learning how to create a Favorites List. Then you can select which site or sites to monitor. I believe if you can be a little more selective on your sites, you'll be pleased. You have the best scanner for dealing with the ARMER system.

See Youtube for some excellent videos on how to program Favorites Lists.

coryw

Thank you all for the suggestions. I've watched tons of Youtube videos and am starting to understand a little bit more about the ARMER system. I did a favorites list of just Ramsey County-St Paul Police (4 channels) to make it simple. I'm getting more activity, but it's still really hit or miss (I'm getting twice as much activity on my basic scanner app). Couple questions about setting up a favorites list in Sentinel. Here's what I did, and I'm wondering if someone can confirm if I'm entering what I need.

Selected Minnesota, Ramsey County, Statewide, ARMER, Ramsey County- St. Paul, Than I highlighted SPPD Channel 1,2,3,4 (these are the TG) and appended to favorites list. After That I click on Allied Radio Matrix (ARMER) and I highlighted to "avoid" everything except "Ramsey County-ST Paul"(the department TG) and also the Ramsey County Simulcast (20 frequencies). If I understand that correctly, the simulcast has all the frequencies that Ramsey County uses and these will be the frequencies the scanner will scan to pick up the TG that I added (Ramsey St Paul). Am I missing or misunderstanding this? Do I need to add more channels or frequencies? Also is it best to do the "avoid" other cities/channels, or just delete them out of the favorites list (under the ARMER System)?

Sorry to sound like an amateur, but I am !!! I'm just learning the scanning world! I've spent about 8 hours today reading, You Tubing, and trying things :) I was getting close to throwing this scanner out the window HAA.

I appreciate everyone taking time to help a rookie out

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure you went about things correctly. Here is a file you can unzip, then import the resulting HPE file into your Sentinel. Be sure you edit your Profile and set this new Favorites List to have Monitor On and Download On then write it to your scanner.

If I was up there visiting my uncle, that's how I would create a Favorites List.

I bumped up the site Hold time. Sometimes on certain systems, this needs to be done. No one can explain why, but that seems to be helpful.

All it has is Ramsey county talkgroups. The Ramsey site is there and active. The City Center site is there, but Avoided, just in case it might be needed.

Sometimes you gotta add the right amount of Lutefisk to things!

Attachments

• MN ARMER Ramsey.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 14

coryw

I'm pretty sure you went about things correctly. Here is a file you can unzip, then import the resulting HPE file into your Sentinel. Be sure you edit your Profile and set this new Favorites List to have Monitor On and Download On then write it to your scanner.

If I was up there visiting my uncle, that's how I would create a Favorites List.

I bumped up the site Hold time. Sometimes on certain systems, this needs to be done. No one can explain why, but that seems to be helpful.

All it has is Ramsey county talkgroups. The Ramsey site is there and active. The City Center site is there, but Avoided, just in case it might be needed.

Sometimes you gotta add the right amount of Lutefisk to things!

I can't thank you enough! At least I got something to compare it to. It seems to be working, but I'm pretty sure I need to invest into a better antenna (thinking of grabbing a Remtronix ?) One last question.... When I write to my scanner should I be checking either of the boxes (Erase Favorites or Force write full database. I've read it all different ways.

Thanks again for your help

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you show any kind of signal strength indication, the antenna you have is working. With digital, you either have it or you do not. I get very clear audio on a site even though it shows no signal. You may see the signal drop out every so many seconds, which is "normal housekeeping" in the scanner and nothing to be concerned with.

With all that said, I do have an aftermarket antenna on mine. It is similar to the Remtronix. If you consider getting one with the SMA connector, you might call Scannermaster and confirm what they sell will fit on the SDS 100. There is a funky mount situation.

Absolutely check the Erase Favorites in Scanner Box. Force Write Full Database is debatable. I do - it only takes a few extra seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.