New to scanners just bought BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm2785

Hi guys! I just got my scanner today and I am trying to enter freq's and alot of them just seem to have constant static.. I am trying to enter freq's from Burbank CA where I am near and they seem to be on some system called ISIC or ISIS or something..? No not the terror group lol.. anyway, I have watched some YouTube videos and got a couple freq's to work but not much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

captclint

Mentor
I am trying to enter freq's from Burbank CA where I am near and they seem to be on some system called ISIC or ISIS or something..? No not the terror group lol.. anyway, I have watched some YouTube videos and got a couple freq's to work but not much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
If you look at the "mode" column, you will see either an "A" for analog, or "D" for digital.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2856
You scanner does not receive digital, which will sound like static on your scanner. Furthermore, this ISIC is a trunking system, which your scanner does not support, so you will be unable to receive Analog or digital on it.

Last edited:

cm2785

Thank you, I realized that last night and returned that scanner and bought the BCD436HP.. will that be okay? Also on that sheet you linked there is spacing and offset and DEC how do I used that stuff? Thanks for the help!

wtp

well...

you can hear analog. it is an analog scanner.
what you can't do is follow the trunked conversation automatically.
you could program all the frequencies and hit scan if the radio stops on a different group.
oh and one should have a constant buzz noise, that is the data channel and it controls what channel everyone is sent to.
trunked systems change frequencies, and the computer in the radio hears which channel/frequency to go to.
and no, your radio does not do anything but hear "static" for digital.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
You picked up an excellent scanner. It is one of the best at picking up airplane signals. Try to program them into the scanner. Have fun!

cm2785

Thanks guys! I just got it and entered my zip and got the local stuff but I don't think it put in those BURBANK PD and Fire codes for that ICIS system.. I am trying to learn this complex beast but in the meantime does anyone know how I can manually enter them? When using the computer program I can pull up Burbank but it doesn't have those numbers in it. Thanks!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The 125 won't receive the Burbank stuff! They use a trunked P25 digital system and the scanner won't receive that! It will receive air and stuff very well and anything listed as analog in the database...

cm2785

Thanks! Do you know how I can enter the Burbank codes into this new scanner? Thanks again!

cm2785

Hey guys should I be buying the $60 update for my scanner to do the DMR? Will that allow me to hear Burbank PD/FD or is it something else? Thanks guys

captclint

Mentor
Hey guys should I be buying the $60 update for my scanner to do the DMR? Will that allow me to hear Burbank PD/FD or is it something else? Thanks guys
Burbank is on the ICIS, which is not DMR. If you look at this page
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=201
under "mode" for the OLD Burbank frequencies (which they might still use), there is no DMR.

I don't see a need for the DMR upgrade for now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks! Do you know how I can enter the Burbank codes into this new scanner? Thanks again!

If you have the 436, it already has everything in the RR database, you don't need to add anything in RR to the scanner.

captclint

Mentor
Thanks guys! I just got it and entered my zip and got the local stuff but I don't think it put in those BURBANK PD and Fire codes for that ICIS system.. I am trying to learn this complex beast but in the meantime does anyone know how I can manually enter them? When using the computer program I can pull up Burbank but it doesn't have those numbers in it. Thanks!
I don't have a scanner with the zip code feature, but I believe it should have added the ICIS System. However, it might not have entered the Burbank or Verdugo Fire Communications Center Talkgroups. If not, I think you can add them using Sentinal, but you might try expanding the range to the maximum, and make sure you have selected PD/FD service types See Range
You may find other answers in this on-line manual, which is easier to understand.
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
For more help, try posting your questions on the CA forum and make sure you change he subject to 436

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Burbank talkgroups for ICIS are indeed listed in Sentinel's main database. If you aren't hearing them, you have your location set wrong, or aren't close enough to hear them.

cm2785

Thanks guys I am hearing at least the pd now I'll make sure everything else is checked.. Now that I paid for that dmr id like to use it lol.. any easy way I can see it work so it's not a waste? Thanks guys!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys I am hearing at least the pd now I'll make sure everything else is checked.. Now that I paid for that dmr id like to use it lol.. any easy way I can see it work so it's not a waste? Thanks guys!
To see who in your area is licensed for DMR, see this site:
Digital Frequency Search

You can enter your county and then search to find entities licensed to use the DMR mode. A lot of businesses are now DMR, including some that are in the database but still showing their old analog mode. Just remember that while a business or other agency may be licensed for DMR, that does not guarantee that it is being used. But plug in some of the frequencies you find & see.

In my area, several of the largest hotels are listed as being on legacy LTR systems, but in fact have migrated to DMR trunked systems.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
After you browse through the DMR frequencies on the regular search page of Digital Frequency Search, I recommend using the Advanced Quick Import Search to search for frequencies formatted for import into Sentinel. Digital Frequency Quick Import

Depending on the radio density of your area, show or exclude the mobile frequencies. If there are still a lot (say over 100-200), adjust the minimum power search setting up until you return a reasonable number.

Just be sure you scanner is set to play all service types, especially "Custom 1."

Enjoy your new digital radio scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.